There were 143,946 doctor and coroner certified deaths registered in Australia in 2008. This was 6,092 (4.4%) more than the number registered in 2007 (137,854). The age standardised death rate in 2008 was 6.0 deaths per 1,000 standard population. This was the lowest on record, reflecting a steady decline in the standardised death rate over the past decade from 7.2 deaths per 1,000 in 1998.
Males accounted for 73,548 (51.1%) deaths registered in 2008, and females accounted for the remaining 70,398 deaths (48.9%). The sex ratio (male deaths per 100 female deaths) has been gradually declining over the past decade, down from 111.5 in 1998 to 104.5 in 2008.
Further details on numbers of deaths registered can be found in Deaths, Australia, 2008 (cat.no. 3302.0).