Australian Bureau of Statistics

Rate the ABS website
ABS Home > Statistics > By Release Date
ABS @ Facebook ABS @ Twitter ABS RSS ABS Email notification service
1301.0 - Year Book Australia, 2002  
Previous ISSUE Released at 11:30 AM (CANBERRA TIME) 25/01/2002   
   Page tools: Print Print Page RSS Feed RSS Bookmark and Share Search this Product  
Contents >> Science and Innovation >> Source of funds for expenditure on R&D

In 1998-99, the business sector funded 46% of all Australian R&D. This compares with 42% recorded in 1988-89. The Commonwealth Government funded 39% of R&D in 1998-99 (down from 44% in 1988-89) and the State Governments funded 8% (down from 10% in 1988-89).

In 1998-99, 93% of funding for R&D carried out by businesses came from the business sector. It has remained at about this level for the preceding decade. Commonwealth government organisations provided 3% of funding for business R&D expenditure in 1998-99.

About 83% of Commonwealth government sector R&D was funded by Commonwealth government organisations in 1998-99. The Commonwealth government proportion of self-funding has dropped from 94% ten years ago, with the business sector and the private non-profit sector making up most of the remainder, each contributing 6% in 1998-99.

About 69% of State government R&D was funded by State government organisations in 1998-99. This is significantly lower than a decade earlier, when the proportion was 81%. The private non-profit sector funded 15% of the State government R&D in 1998-99, up from 4% a decade earlier.

About 87% of higher education R&D funding in 1998-99 came from the Commonwealth Government (compared with 89% in 1988-89). Business enterprises provided 5% of the funding in 1998-99, up from 3% a decade earlier.

Commonwealth government organisations funded 29% of the R&D of the private non-profit sector in 1998-99, while the contribution by State Governments was 11%.

Tables 25.4 and 25.5 show the data for 1988-89 and 1998-99 respectively.


25.4 EXPENDITURE ON R&D, Sector by Source of Funds - 1988-89

Commonwealth Government
State Government
Businesses
Private non-profit and other Australian(a)
Overseas





Sector
$m
% of
total
$m
% of total
$m
% of total
$m
% of
total
$m
% of total
Total
$m

Business
62.0
3.4
4.4
0.2
1,687.1
93.8
4.2
0.2
40.7
2.3
1,798.3
Government -
- Commonwealth
816.9
93.9
3.9
0.4
40.6
4.7
2.7
0.3
5.6
0.6
869.6
- State
44.6
9.2
391.7
81.1
23.8
4.9
21.3
4.4
1.3
0.3
482.7
- Total
861.5
63.7
395.6
29.3
64.4
4.8
23.9
1.8
6.9
0.5
1,352.3
Higher education(b)
951.3
88.7
16.6
1.5
27.6
2.6
70.2
6.5
7.2
0.7
1,072.9
Private non-profit
19.8
37.1
5.9
11.1
4.4
8.3
21.0
39.4
2.2
4.1
53.3
Total
1,894.6
44.3
422.5
9.9
1,783.5
41.7
119.3
2.8
57.0
1.3
4,276.8

(a) Includes funds provided via government levies.
(b) Data for calendar year 1988.

Source: Research and Experimental Development, All Sector Summary, Australia (8112.0).


25.5 EXPENDITURE ON R&D, Sector by Source of Funds - 1998-99

Commonwealth Government
State Government
Businesses
Private non-profit and other Australian(a)
Overseas





Sector
$m
% of total
$m
% of total
$m
% of total
$m
% of total
$m
% of total
Total
$m

Business
112.6
2.8
8.9
0.2
3,769.7
92.7
36.1
0.9
140.4
3.5
4,067.6
Government -
- Commonwealth
993.6
83.3
24.8
2.1
71.4
6.0
76.7
6.4
26.1
2.2
1,192.6
- State
77.1
8.8
610.0
69.4
58.3
6.6
128.8
14.7
4.8
0.5
879.0
- Total
1,070.7
51.7
634.9
30.6
129.7
6.3
205.4
9.9
30.9
1.5
2,071.6
Higher education(b)
2,266.0
87.1
68.8
2.6
135.8
5.2
90.9
3.5
41.2
1.6
2,602.7
Private non-profit
47.4
28.6
22.9
10.6
27.3
17.4
73.2
39.6
13.1
3.8
183.9
Total
3,496.7
39.2
735.5
8.2
4,062.5
45.5
405.6
4.5
225.6
2.5
8,925.8

(a) Includes funds provided via government levies.
(b) Data for calendar year 1998.

Source: Research and Experimental Development, All Sector Summary, Australia (8112.0); Research and Experimental Development, Businesses, Australia (8104.0).


Previous PageNext Page


Bookmark and Share. Opens in a new window


Commonwealth of Australia 2014

Unless otherwise noted, content on this website is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 Australia Licence together with any terms, conditions and exclusions as set out in the website Copyright notice. For permission to do anything beyond the scope of this licence and copyright terms contact us.