Australian Bureau of Statistics
3101.0 - Australian Demographic Statistics, Sep 2011 Quality Declaration
Previous ISSUE Released at 11:30 AM (CANBERRA TIME) 29/03/2012
|Page tools: Print Page Print All RSS Search this Product|
Australia's population growth rate remains steady
Australia's annual population growth rate remained steady at 1.4% for the year ending 30 September 2011, according to the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS). This was the fourth consecutive quarter that the annual population growth rate was 1.4%.
Western Australia continues to have the fastest growing population in the country, increasing by 2.6% (60,700 people) in the year to 30 September 2011. This was followed by the Australian Capital Territory (1.9%), Queensland (1.7%), Victoria (1.5%), New South Wales (1.1%), South Australia (0.8%), Tasmania and the Northern Territory (both 0.5%).
Over the same period, Australia's population increased by 319,600 people to 22.7 million (22,696,000) people. Net overseas migration accounted for 54% of the growth for the year ending September 2011, with the remaining 46% due to natural increase (births minus deaths).
Net overseas migration continued to decline to the end of September 2011, but only slightly. The preliminary net overseas migration estimate for the year ending September 2011 (172,500 people) was 2% (or 3,500) lower than that for September 2010 (176,000 people).
Based on preliminary figures, there were 294,300 births registered in the year ending September 2011, 0.6% (or 1,800) more than the previous year (292,500). The number of deaths registered over the same period was 147,200, 2.8% (or 4,000) more than the previous year (143,100).
The preliminary September quarter 2011 Estimated Resident Population (ERP) contained in this release of Australian Demographic Statistics will be the last quarterly estimates to be based on the 2006 Census of Population and Housing. The next quarterly estimates (December 2011) to be released on 20 June 2012 will be the first estimates based on the results of the 2011 Census of Population and Housing.
This release also marks 30 years since the ABS began releasing official population estimates on a usual residence basis in its ERP statistical series.
Further information is available in Australian Demographic Statistics, September Quarter 2011 (cat. no. 3101.0).
For population estimates at the regional level, please see Regional Population Growth, Australia, 2009–10 (cat. no. 3218.0) and Population by Age and Sex, Regions of Australia, 2010 (cat. no. 3235.0). Available for free download from www.abs.gov.au
When reporting ABS data you must attribute the Australian Bureau of Statistics (or the ABS) as the source.
These documents will be presented in a new window.
This page last updated 19 June 2012