Australian Bureau of Statistics
3101.0 - Australian Demographic Statistics, Jun 2011 Quality Declaration
Previous ISSUE Released at 11:30 AM (CANBERRA TIME) 19/12/2011
|Page tools: Print Page Print All RSS Search this Product|
WA fastest growing population in the country
Western Australia continues to have the fastest growing population in the country, increasing by 2.4% (55,800 people) in the year to 30 June 2011, according to the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS).
This was followed by the Australian Capital Territory (1.9%), Queensland (1.6%), Victoria (1.5%), New South Wales (1.1%), South Australia (0.8%),Tasmania (0.6%) and the Northern Territory (0.4%).
Over the same period, Australia's population increased by 1.4% (320,800 people) to 22.6 million (22,620,600) people. Net overseas migration accounted for 53% of the growth for the year ending June 2011, with the remaining 47% due to natural increase (births minus deaths).
Net overseas migration continued to decline to the end of June 2011. The preliminary net overseas migration estimate for the year ending June 2011 (170,300 people) was 14% lower than that for June 2010 (198,300 people).
Based on preliminary figures, there were 296,800 births registered in the year ending June 2011, 1.9% more than the previous year (291,200). The number of deaths registered over the same period was 146,300, 3.4% more than the previous year (141,500).
Australia's median age (the age at which half the population is older and half is younger) increased by 4.7 years over the past 20 years, from 32.4 years at 30 June 1991 to 37.1 years in 2011. All states and territories recorded an increase in median age, with Tasmania recording the highest median age (40.2 years) and the Northern Territory the lowest (31.5 years) at 30 June 2011.
During the same period, the proportion of children aged 0-14 years decreased by 3.1 percentage points. The proportion of people aged 15-64 years increased by 0.6 percentage points and the proportion of people aged 65 years and over by 2.4 percentage points.
Further information is available in Australian Demographic Statistics, June Quarter 2011 (cat. no. 3101.0).
For population estimates at the regional level, please see Regional Population Growth, Australia, 2009–10 (cat. no. 3218.0) and Population by Age and Sex, Regions of Australia, 2010 (cat. no. 3235.0). Available for free download from www.abs.gov.au
When reporting ABS data you must attribute the Australian Bureau of Statistics (or the ABS) as the source.
These documents will be presented in a new window.
This page last updated 28 March 2012