9921-13 Fruit, Vegetable or Nut Farm Hand
Performs routine tasks to assist in crop production on fruit, vegetable and nut farms, market gardens and orchards.
The entry requirement for this occupation is completion of compulsory secondary education or higher qualification.
- plants fruit and nut trees, seeds, seedlings, roots, bulbs, vines and other plants using hand tools or farm machinery
- operates farm machinery to cultivate, plant, fertilise, spray and harvest nuts, fruit and vegetables
- sprays trees, vines and other plants with chemicals to control weed growth, insects, fungus growth and diseases
- thins, weeds and hoes row crops
- cuts grass around trees and vines
- irrigates land for crop growth
- builds trellises for climbing vegetables or vines
- grades, sorts, bunches and packs produce into containers
- loads filled nut, fruit and vegetable containers on to trucks
- may service and make minor repairs to machinery and buildings