NET OVERSEAS MIGRATION
NEW DATA AVAILABLE
With the introduction of improved methods for estimating Net Overseas Migration (NOM) the ABS has developed an analytical dataset called the Travellers Characteristics Data Base. These improvements allow the derivation of an individual's actual travel behaviour (using final NOM data) and record certain characteristics for any traveller who has contributed to NOM. The database provides for additional analysis of final NOM data that was not previously available. The following variables are available on request for final NOM data only:
- Age (as at 30 June)
- Citizenship (nationality)
- Country of birth
- Initial category of travel
- Marital status (not available for Australian and New Zealand citizens)
- Reference year (available from 2004 - final data only)
- Type of traveller (NOM arrival or NOM departure - based on actual recorded duration of stay in or out of Australia)
- Visa type
- Australian residents
- Country spent/intend to spend most time abroad
- Main reason for journey (only available for temporary resident departures) and
- State or territory of intended address/state or territory of residence.
- Overseas visitors:
- Country of residence
- Main reason for journey (only available for temporary visitor arrivals) and
- State or territory of intended address/in which most time was spent.
To discuss requesting a table from the Travellers Characteristics Data Base email email@example.com
or telephone Neil Scott on 02 6252 5959.
This page last updated 8 December 2010