Feedback and collaboration will be critical in our preparation for the 2021 Census. Understanding your views will help us to deliver a Census for all Australians that best meets our nation’s needs. As we work towards 2021, the ABS will continue to share information and seek views to inform our planning. This publication introduces the review of 2021 Census topics and provides comprehensive information to support participation in the public consultation which commences on 3 April 2018, and concludes on 30 June 2018.
The information provided includes:
• background and context about topics reviews
• topics collected on the 2016 Census
• emerging interest in new topics and changes to current topics
• how to participate in the public consultation to share your views
• factors impacting changes to Census topics
• the assessment criteria to be considered when preparing a submission
• the process following the public consultation to finalise the topics on the 2021 Census.
If you are interested in participating in the review of Census topics, we encourage you to review the content in this paper to help with preparing submissions. Well considered submissions will be critical to ensuring Census topics are suitable, important, and relevant.