AUSTRALIAN BUREAU OF STATISTICS (ABS)
NAME OF COLLECTION
The National Nutrition Survey (NNS)
The National Nutrition Survey (NNS) is a once only survey conducted in 1995. Information was collected on food and beverage intake, physical measurements, food related habits, attitudes and food consumption patterns over the last 12 months. The NNS was conducted on a sub-sample of the National Health Survey participants.
The goal of the NNS was to provide food and nutrient data to assist with the implementation of Australia's 'Food and Nutrition Policy'. Specifically it set out to:
- provide data on nutrient intake for comparison with the recommended dietary intakes for Australians
- provide data on food intake for comparison with the Australian dietary guidelines.
Topics covered by the NNS include food and beverage consumption, nutrient intake, eating habits, dietary attitudes and anthropometric (physical measurements) indicators for adults and children together with demographic, socioeconomic and geographic data items. Data items collected within these topics are capable of being cross classified with Data Items Relevant to Migrants and Ethnicity
DATA ITEMS RELEVANT TO MIGRANTS AND ETHNICITY
OTHER DATA ITEMS COLLECTED
- Country of birth
- Born in Australia
- Born outside Australia
- Oceania and Antarctica (excluding Australia)
- Europe and the former USSR
- Middle East and North Africa
- South-East Asia
- North-East Asia
- Southern Asia
- Northern America
- South America, Central America and the Caribbean
- Africa (excluding North Africa)
- Year of arrival
- Period of residence in Australia (years)
- Usual language other than English spoken at home
- Northern European
- Southern European
- Eastern European
- South-west Asian and North African
- Southern Asian
- South-east Asian
- Eastern Asian
- Australian Indigenous languages
- Other languages.
Note: Other language groupings available on request subject to confidentiality restrictions.
A full list of data items collected for the National Nutrition Survey is available in National Nutrition Survey: Users Guide
(cat. no. 4801.0 ).
For further details on scope, geographic coverage, data availability and publications, methodology, classifications and concepts visit the National Nutrition Survey
entry in the Directory of Statistical Sources
For further information about these and related statistics, contact the National Information and Referral Service.
Phone: 1300 135 070
Fax: 1300 135 211
Post: Client Services, ABS, GPO Box 796, Sydney 2001