Australian Bureau of Statistics
3303.0.55.001 - Causes of Death, Australia: Doctor Certified Deaths, Summary Tables, 2012
Latest ISSUE Released at 11:30 AM (CANBERRA TIME) 20/11/2013 Final
|Page tools: Print Page Print All RSS Search this Product|
SPECIFIED CAUSES OF DEATH
Approximately 56.4% (24,228) of people who died of cancers in 2012 were male; the remaining 43.6% (18,733) were female. The median age at death for people who died of cancers and whose death was certified by a doctor was 75.5 years.
ENDOCRINE, NUTRITIONAL AND METABOLIC DISEASES (E00-E90)
In 2012, Endocrine, nutritional and metabolic diseases were the underlying cause of 5,754 deaths certified by a doctor, a decrease of 2 deaths from the 5,756 deaths certified by a doctor in 2011.
Doctor certified deaths due to Diabetes (E10-E14) increased 0.8% from 4,042 in 2011 to 4,074 in 2012. Non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus or type 2 diabetes (E11) decreased marginally from 1,782 in 2011 to 1,774 in 2012, while Unspecified diabetes mellitus (E14) increased by 35 deaths (1.8%) between 2011 and 2012, to reach 1,953 deaths.
Endocrine, nutritional and metabolic diseases affected males and females almost equally in 2012: 49.0% of people who died of these causes were male, while 51.0% were female. The median age at death of people who died from Endocrine, nutritional and metabolic diseases was amongst the lowest of all causes certified by a doctor, at 82.9 years, although this is a slight increase from 82.5 years in 2011.
MENTAL AND BEHAVIOURAL DISORDERS (F00-F99)
In 2012, 7,822 people died of Mental and behavioural disorders. This represented a 6.3% increase from the 7,359 doctor certified deaths in 2011. Deaths which result from Mental and behavioural disorders are more often certified by a doctor than a coroner.
Dementia (F01, F03) accounted for more deaths than any other Mental and behavioural disorder in 2012. The number of deaths doctors attributed to dementia increased from 6,791 in 2011, to 7,211 in 2012. This is consistent with annual increases since 2006 and may be attributable in part to the aging population in Australia.
The median age at death for an individual who died of a Mental or behavioural disorder that was certified by a doctor in 2012 was 88.2 years. The number of females (5,070) who died of these causes was nearly double that of males (2,752); 184 women died of a Mental or behavioural disorder for every 100 men who died of these conditions.
Doctors certified 38,743 deaths due to circulatory diseases in 2012, a decrease of 1,181 deaths (3.0%) since 2011. The total number of deaths due to Diseases of the circulatory system is expected to be substantially higher when released in Causes of Death, Australia, 2012 (cat. no. 3303.0) as a number of deaths from these causes are certified by coroners.
Of all doctor certified deaths due to Diseases of the circulatory system, Chronic ischaemic heart disease (I25) recorded the largest decrease, from 8,451 deaths in 2011 to 7,865 in 2012 (6.9%). This was followed by Acute myocardial infarction (I21) which decreased by 464 deaths (5.1%) between 2011 and 2012, to reach 8,588. Deaths due to Stroke, not specified as haemorrhage or infarction (I64) also experienced a similar percentage decrease, down 5.4% (or 285 deaths) since 2011.
— nil or rounded to zero (including null cells)
na not applicable
np not publishable
(a) Data cells with small values have been randomly assigned to protect the confidentiality of individuals. As a result, some totals will not equal the sum of their components. Cells with a zero value have not been affected by confidentialisation.
This page last updated 19 November 2013
Unless otherwise noted, content on this website is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 Australia Licence together with any terms, conditions and exclusions as set out in the website Copyright notice. For permission to do anything beyond the scope of this licence and copyright terms contact us.