|April 28, 2008|
Embargoed 11.30 am (AEST)
ABS: Aussies' love of food generates big dollars
Australia's cafes, restaurants and caterers generated $13.7 billion in income during 2006-07, according to figures released today by the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS).
The main sources of income for the 15,423 cafes, restaurants and caterers were:
- Takings from meals consumed on the premises (47%)
- Takings from catering services (24.1%)
- Sale of liquor and other beverages (19.9%)
Cafes and restaurants
- Generated $9.7 billion in income.
- Employed 145,546 people (47.4% as casuals). Waiting staff was the largest occupation (41.7%).
- Over two-thirds (67.5%) employed fewer than 10 people. These smaller businesses accounted for 27.7% of total cafe and restaurant income.
- Larger cafe and restaurant businesses (those which employed more than 50 people) accounted for 1.5% of all cafe and restaurant businesses and generated over one-fifth of total income (21.8% or $2,115.5m).
- Over half (56.8%) were licensed to sell alcohol.
- 1.1 million seats were available for dining.
Around the nation:
- Generated nearly $3.9 billion in income.
- Employed 50,268 people (58.5% as casuals). Waiting staff was the largest occupation (27.2%). Kitchen hands accounted for 23.3% and chefs and cooks 18.6%.
- Over half (57.8%) employed fewer than 10 people. These smaller businesses accounted for 9.1% of total catering income.
- Larger catering businesses (those which employed 50 people or more) accounted for over three-quarters (78%) of total catering income.
- New South Wales accounted for 36.3% of all cafe, restaurant and catering businesses in Australia, 30.4% of employment and generated just under a third (32.2%) of total income.
- Victorian cafes, restaurants and catering businesses comprised just over a quarter of all businesses (27.4%), 24.7% of income and over a quarter (26.7%) of total employment.
- Queensland, ACT, Tasmania, South Australia, Western Australia and Northern Territory collectively accounted for 36.7% of all cafe, restaurant and catering businesses and 43% of income and total employment respectively.
Further details are in Cafes, Restaurants and Catering Services, Australia, 2006-07
(cat. no. 8655.0).
This page last updated 28 April 2008