Australian Bureau of Statistics

Rate this page
ABS Home > Statistics > By Catalogue Number
ABS @ Facebook ABS @ Twitter ABS RSS ABS Email notification service
8570.0 - Health Care Services, 2009-10 Quality Declaration 
Latest ISSUE Released at 11:30 AM (CANBERRA TIME) 05/07/2011  First Issue
   Page tools: Print Print Page Print all pages in this productPrint All RSS Feed RSS Bookmark and Share Search this Product  
Contents >> Other health services >> Other allied health services


At the end of June 2010, there were 10,256 other allied health businesses operating in Australia. These businesses:

  • operated from 15,490 locations servicing a population of 22.3 million people at the end of June 2010;
  • employed or contracted 24,306 registered health practitioners and other staff providing health care;
  • generated income of $3.5b during the 2009-10 financial year;
  • incurred expenses of $3b in the same period;
  • generated operating profit before tax of $518.9m; and
  • generated industry value added of $1.9b.

Persons working

There were 45,545 persons engaged in the other allied health industry at the end of June 2010. Of this number 24,306 or 53.4% were registered health practitioners and other staff providing health care.

Of those providing direct health care services, 20,190 persons were employed by businesses and 4,116 persons (16.9%) were working on contract. Working proprietors and partners accounted for 6,176 or 30.6% of persons employed by businesses, while the remaining 14,014 or 69.4% were employees. Of all employees, 54.2% were permanent full-time, 28.4% were permanent part-time and the remaining 17.4% were casual/temporary.

There were 21,239 other staff engaged in the other allied health industry representing 46.6% of total employed and contracted persons.

Income and expenses

Fee for service income of $1.5b accounted for 43.9% of the total income of $3.5b generated by other allied health businesses during the 2009-10 financial year.

Other allied health businesses operating on 30 June 2010, generated an average income of $338,700 per business. Fee for service income earned per practitioner was $62,800.

Wages and salaries of $1.2b accounted for 40.2% of total industry expenditure of $3b during 2009-10.


Operating profit before tax for other allied health businesses during the 2009-10 financial year was $518.9m, representing an operating profit margin of 19.8% .

Previous PageNext Page

Bookmark and Share. Opens in a new window

Commonwealth of Australia 2016

Unless otherwise noted, content on this website is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 Australia Licence together with any terms, conditions and exclusions as set out in the website Copyright notice. For permission to do anything beyond the scope of this licence and copyright terms contact us.