NAME OF COLLECTION
Survey of Tourist Accommodation Developments
Buildings Research and Output Group
Australian Bureau of Statistics
GPO Box 2272
ADELAIDE SA 5001
Telephone: Adelaide (08) 8237 7668
Facsimile: Adelaide (08) 8237 7620
To assist in forecasting the supply of tourist accommodation, by number of rooms, by type of accommodation and star grading (where applicable), for major tourism regions.
The survey collects data on the construction of tourist
accommodation from project owners/developers. The scope of the collection is tourist accommodation development projects with an approved completion value of $2 million or more. (Earlier surveys adopted a cut-off of $250,000 for approved completion value.) Owners/developers of these projects are sent a questionnaire.
- Site address;
- Actual or expected date of commencement of construction;
- Actual or expected date of completion of construction;
- Actual or expected date of opening;
- Actual or expected completion value of the building job; and
- Accommodation capacity. (For hotels, motels or guest houses, number of new rooms, by expected star rating, number of refurbished rooms by star rating of rooms prior to and after refurbishment. Number of single and multiple bedroom units for holiday flats, units or serviced apartments, number of cabins or sites for caravan parks and number of bed spaces for visitor/backpacker hostels.)
Frequency of data availability
First collected in respect of the March quarter 1995.
Products and services available
Included annually in Tourism Indicators, Australia (cat. no. 8634.0)
Included annually in Building Approvals, Australia (cat. no. 8731.0)