NAME OF COLLECTION
Not over the hill-Just enjoying the view : (A close-up look at the seniors market for tourism in Australia)
Ms Arna Presland
Project Co-ordinator Seniors Card Tourism Scheme
Office of Ageing, Department of Families, Youth and Community Care
GPO Box 2491
BRISBANE Qld 4001
Telephone: Brisbane (07) 3224 7564
Facsimile: Brisbane (07) 3224 2019
To ascertain the needs, motivations and desires of Australian seniors (over 60 years old) pertaining to Australian tourism.
A summary of the following A.C.Neilsen Surveys.
Survey of Seniors Card Holders
Seniors and Industry Perception Survey
Travel Motivations Survey
Seniors Tourism in Tasmania
The National Seniors Card Tourism Scheme commissioned five major A C Neilsen studies and facilitated two intensive university research projects. These, along with Focus groups and extensive desktop research, represent the most exhaustive studies into seniors tourism ever conducted in Australia.
The following list is selected indicative only. Many more statistics are mentioned within the body of the text. Some of the findings presented include;
Australia, with some state data.
- Demographics of seniors
- Average time spent on holiday by age
- Allocation of recreation budget
- The impact of baby boomers turning sixty
- Barriers to seniors travel
- The five most important attributes affecting seniors choices
- Methods of transport used
- The most popular leisure activities
- Qualities seniors rate when choosing a travel agent.
- Holiday preferences - rated by seniors and travel agents
Frequency of data availability
Products and services available
Not over the hill - just enjoying the View - both Full Report and Summary available
- Copies of original research reports are available upon request.
- Statistics for individual state and territories are available from the A C Neilsen survey (NT, Qld, NSW, WA, Tas).
- An annually updated booklet - 'Get up and Go - Australian Travel Guide for seniors 2000' has been produced commercially and is available nationally.