Cafes and Restaurants Industry, Australia (cat. no. 8655.0)
In recent times there has been considerable interest in extending the ABS Service Industries Surveys program to produce more comprehensive and more regular data on the Australian hospitality industries. The Cafes and Restaurants Survey is part of this thrust.
The scope of the survey is all employing businesses recorded on the ABS business register and classified to the Australian and New Zealand Standard Industrial Classification (ANZSIC) Class 5730 Cafes and Restaurants. This class comprises businesses mainly engaged in operating cafes and restaurants for consumption of meals on the premises and businesses mainly engaged in catering services. It excludes takeaway food retailing businesses.
The publication contains data items tailored to the industry, similar to the data items used in the 1991-92 in order to produce comparable estimates. These data items include:
- income breakdown by various sources e.g. takings from meals, takeaway food, liquor, etc.
- detailed breakdown of expenditure items
- detailed breakdown of employment data; full-time/part-time, males/females as well as main occupation
- type of establishment eg BYO, licensed cafe/restaurant, catering service
- performance ratios
- State and Territory comparisons are made by employment, wages and salaries and total income
New South Wales
FREQUENCY OF DATA AVAILABILITY
Cafes & restaurants were surveyed in respect of 1991-1992 (as part of a survey of hospitality industries) and 1998-1999. Previous hospitality industry surveys were conducted in respect of 1979-1980 & 1986-1987.
ASSOCIATED PRODUCTS AND SERVICES
Clubs, Pubs, Taverns and Bars, Australia (cat. no. 8687.0)
Accommodation Industry, Australia (cat. no. 8695.0)
For information on other related products and services visit the Product Information page.
Return to Accommodation, Cafes and Restaurants Industry
This page last updated 2 January 2007