DATE OF BIRTH
Technical name: Person - date of birth, DDMMYYYY
METeOR identifier: 287007
METeOR link: http://meteor.aihw.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/287007
METeOR definition: The date of birth of the person.
Inclusions: The day, month and year of birth of the child, concatenated in that order to form the child's date of birth, for all children enrolled in a preschool program.
Exclusions: Children not enrolled in a preschool program.
Concept: Date of birth.
Nominal definition: The day, month and year on which the child was born.
Operational definition: The day, month and year on which the child was born, as identified by the child's parent or guardian and as recorded on the child's enrolment record.
Supporting data elements: Date of birth is used in conjunction with the following data elements to develop the Statistical linkage key:
- Nominal and operational definitions of Date of birth differ because it is infeasible for children in-scope of this collection to self-report. Therefore, the child's parent or guardian must be asked to identify the child's date of birth on the child's enrolment form.
- Date of birth can be used to derive the child's age as at 1 July of the collection year.
Standard Jurisdictional Output Categories
- Where the day or month of birth of the child is unknown, the section of the date of birth that the jurisdiction sets it to '00' will be imputed to '01' by the ABS to calculate an age. In the situation that an incomplete date of birth is provided to the ABS, the SLK cannot be used for linking purposes.
DDMMYYYY, for example: 21012005
Maximum character length:
2.1.2 LEGAL VALUE CHECKS
Guide for Use
|Edit specifications||Edit resolution |
|If field is blank.||Provide a valid date of birth, otherwise default to ‘00’ for unknown component of DOB.|
|If field is not in the format DDMMYYYY.||Provide a valid date of birth.|
|If field contains text or character length is greater than 8.||Provide a valid date of birth.|
- In instances where the jurisdiction can provide the month and year of birth but are unable to provide the day of birth for the child, the day of birth should be coded to '00' (i.e. 00122007).
- In instances where only year of birth is available, but day and month of birth is unavailable, only year should be supplied, with '00' imputed for day and month components (i.e. 00002007).
CODE 00 - Unknown
- The jurisdiction should clearly indicate in supporting documentation, any estimated or imputed dates of birth.
For use as a response in instances where the date of birth of the child is unknown. Where the date of birth is unknown, the ABS requests that jurisdictions identify the reason for the unknown response and document any follow up processes undertaken.
Related aggregate data elements:
No related aggregate data element.