VICTIMS ASSISTANCE UNIT
The Victims Assistance Unit supervises and supports the three regional Victims of Crimes Services, which are provided by funding non-government organisations.
Victims of Crime Register
The Unit will also establish the Victims Register, an automated database that enables the Victims Assistance Unit to provide timely and accurate information to victims of crime regarding the offender who committed the offence(s) against them or a member of their immediate family. Information will include:
- the nature of the offence committed and the sentence imposed by the court;
- the location of the offender at the time of registration, and any subsequent transfers;
- the offender(s) security classification at the time of registration, and any classification changes;
- the offender(s) release eligibility dates;
- the result of any leave applications e.g., work release, home visits or parole;
- if the offender escapes from custody; and
The Register will initially contain information on offenders currently held within the Tasmanian prison system.
- if the offender dies whilst in custody.