Pleads cases before civil, criminal and industrial courts and other tribunals.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification. Registration or licensing is required.
- receives written information in the form of briefs and verbal instructions concerning cases from solicitors, other specialist law professionals and clients
- provides advice and written opinions on points of law
- confers with clients and witnesses in preparation for court proceedings
- draws up pleadings, affidavits and other court documents
- researches statutes and previous court decisions relevant to cases
- outlines the facts to the court, calls and questions witnesses, and makes addresses to the court to argue a client's case
- provides opinion on complex legal issues
- may draw up or settle documents