Preschool Education, Australia, 2017 (cat. no. 4240.0) will be released in the following two stages:
· Four summary tables plus one appendix table, with brief Key Findings and Explanatory Notes – released on 15 February 2018
· Thirty one tables, with expanded Key Findings and Explanatory Notes appendices including jurisdictional Data Quality Statements – scheduled for release early March 2018.
ABOUT THIS PUBLICATION
The publication contains statistics on children enrolled in and attending a preschool program across Australia in 2017. The statistics were compiled from the 2017 National Early Childhood Education and Care Collection (the Collection). The Collection is in part conducted to support performance based reporting for the National Partnership Agreement on Universal Access to Early Childhood Education - 2016 & 2017.
This publication draws extensively on information provided by the Australian Government, state and territory governments, and the Catholic Education Office of the Archdiocese of Canberra and Goulburn. Their continued cooperation enables the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) to publish a wide range of education statistics. Information received by the ABS is treated in strict confidence as required by the Census and Statistics Act 1905.
CHANGES IN THIS ISSUE
· An improved linking methodology has resulted in enhanced accuracy. This methodology was applied after the initial release of 2016 data and published as a supplementary release.
· Aggregate data for Queensland, which was incorporated into outputs for previous years, was not requested for 2017 due to the expanded CCMS identification strategy introduced in 2016.
· Statistics on episodes of workers are not included in the output for the 2017 Collection due to incomplete coverage.
DATA QUALITY AND COMPARABILITY
When interpreting the statistics in this release, it is important to take into account factors that may affect their reliability. The 2017 data is highly comparable with the previous year and consequently the publication includes comparisons for the first time. The statistics may not be fully comparable with previous Collection cycles or other data sources due to differences in coverage and methodologies. For more information, please see the Explanatory Notes (particularly the jurisdictional Data Quality Statements) and prior releases of National Early Childhood Education and Care Collection: Concepts, Sources and Methods (cat. no, 4240.0.55.001).
Hours and fees data have been rounded prior to being assigned to distinct ranges. Statistics in this publication have been perturbed or suppressed where necessary to protect confidentiality.
For further information about these and related statistics, contact the National Information and Referral Service (NIRS) on 1300 135 070.