The Census Guide - Product Brief
|Release Date:||from September 2001|
Most of the information provided on The Census Guide also resides on the ABS Web Site. It can be accessed through the Census Main Page at www.abs.gov.au/census. This information is updated on the ABS Web Site as soon as information comes to hand. To provide access for users who do not have access to the Internet, a snapshot of this information is contained on The Guide's CD ROM. Hyperlinks to the ABS Web Site are kept minimal.
The Census Guide utilises WebRom Technology and is displayed using your web browser software. You can navigate and search the CD exactly as you would a normal web site.
Release schedule (three releases)
There will be three CD ROM releases. More information, including product demonstrations, and more free data will be added with each issue. The current release (September 2001) release enables you to understand and identify the potential of 2001 Census data and availability of the products and services. In particular, you can participate in the Customised Table Advanced Ordering Service. The next two issues correspond with the two-phase release of 2001 Census data.
Release 1 - September 2001
This issue contains 2001 Census:
- reference material, including the Census Dictionary (2901.0), How Australia Takes a Census (2903.0), Fact Sheets, other Census Information Papers;
- product and service briefs, templates (publications and Community Profiles), release timetable and 2001 Directory of Census Statistics (2910.0, preliminary content).
and 1996 Census:
- free data, including Community Profiles at Australia level and National Census Characteristics Publication extracts (2015.0, 2016.0, 2017.0). No 2001 data is currently available.
This early release enables you to understand and identify the potential of 2001 Census data and availability of products and services. In particular, you can participate in the Customised Table Advanced Ordering Service.
Release 2 - June 2002 (indicative release)
This issue corresponds with the launch of 1st release 2001 Census products and services.
It will provide 2001 Census:
- reference material, including ASGC extracts and more Fact Sheets;
- product and service demonstrations, including CDATA2001 (2019.0-8), CLIB2001 (2024.0), Digital Boundaries (2923.0); and
- free data, including Basic Community Profiles (R1, 2001.0), Indigenous Community Profile (R1, 2002.0), Census Snapshots (R1) at Australia, State/Territory, Capital City levels, and National Census Characteristics Publication (2015.0) extracts.
Release 3 - December 2002 (indicative release)
This final issue will come out with the launch of 2nd release 2001 Census products and services.
It will include more:
- reference material, including Information Papers for example on data quality, and more Fact Sheets;
- product and service demonstrations, including SEIFA2001 (2033.0-8), and samples of the Social Atlases (2030.1-8); and
- free data, including Basic Community Profiles (R2, 2001.0), Indigenous Community Profile (R2, 2002.0), Census Snapshots at Australia, State/Territory, Capital City levels, and Census Characteristics Publications (2015.1-8) extracts.
Minimum System Requirements
The following is the minimum specification required, though if you have a higher specification then you will get improved performance;
Windows '95, Windows '98 or Windows NT 4.x
P100 or compatible microprocessor
800x600 Video Display
8 Speed CD ROM Drive
Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0 or above
Netscape Navigator 4.05 or above
To order your free copy of The Census Guide call 1800 813 939 or visit your local ABS Bookshop.
Back to top
2001 Census Dictionary - cat. no. 2901.0
Provides users of Census data with a comprehensive reference document for the Census of Population and Housing. Definitions of terms, explanation of concepts and the output classifications are included. The 2001 edition of the Census Dictionary also includes an explanation of geographic concepts.
Available as hardcopy publication and electronically on The Census Guide CD-ROM (free of charge) and the ABS web site (www.abs.gov.au/census).
|Hardcopy||$32.00 (incl. GST)|
|Hardcopy||released on 24/4/2001|
|Electronic||released on 24/4/2001|
|The Census Guide||released on 14/9/2001|
Back to top
Directory of Census Statistics - Cat. No 2910.0
The 2001 Directory of Census Statistics is a reference to the range of products and services developed from the information collected during the last Census. This directory has been produced to help users find Census information easily.
Back to top
This page first published 3 March 2006, last updated 12 February 2007