The target population of businesses for the LPI is all employing organisations in Australia (private and public sectors) excluding:
- enterprises primarily engaged in agriculture, forestry or fishing
- private households employing staff
- foreign embassies, consulates, etc.
All employee jobs in the target population of businesses are in scope of the LPI, with the exception of the following:
- Australian permanent defence force jobs
- non-maintainable jobs (i.e. jobs that are expected to be occupied for less than six months of a year)
- jobs for which wages and salaries are not determined by the Australian labour market (e.g. working proprietors of small incorporated enterprises, most employees of Community Development Employment Programs, and jobs where the remuneration is set in a foreign country).