Australian Bureau of Statistics

Rate the ABS website
ABS Home > Statistics > By Release Date
ABS @ Facebook ABS @ Twitter ABS RSS ABS Email notification service
1384.6 - Statistics - Tasmania, 2005  
Previous ISSUE Released at 11:30 AM (CANBERRA TIME) 13/09/2002   
   Page tools: Print Print Page Print all pages in this productPrint All RSS Feed RSS Bookmark and Share Search this Product  
Contents >> History >> 1860s-1900, Spirit of optimism

During the 1860s-1880s a spirit of optimism pervaded the Tasmanian community as rich mineral deposits were unearthed, a railway system developed and the beginnings of a forest reservation system for the timber industry established.

The island’s tourist potential was also becoming apparent. Premier Henry Dobson created a Tasmanian Tourist Association in 1893 to promote the island as a sanatorium and place of natural beauty. A government-produced guide to the island refers to Tasmania as ‘The Garden of Australia’.

'The scenery, go where you will, is of surprising beauty… There are lofty snow-capped mountains, noble rivers, cool and inviting fern glades, picturesque waterfalls, or striking coastal scenery to meet the eye almost at every outing.'

Whilst the natural beauty of Tasmania was uncontested, the deplorable state of its cities caused many complaints from visitors and residents alike. Sewage and rubbish were openly discharged into the Hobart Town Rivulet and the Tamar River. Serious outbreaks of typhoid and diphtheria were attributed to such filthiness. Public pressure finally led the Government to introduce a regular system of drainage and sewerage in the early 1900s.

1860
Volunteer Corps of Cavalry, Artillery and Infantry established in Hobart and Launceston.

January 23
Glamorgan becomes the first rural municipality proclaimed under the Rural Municipalities Act 1858.

April 9
Launceston Mechanics Society opened.

1861
March 6
Foundation stone of Hobart’s new waterworks scheme laid.

November 1
Cape Wickham lighthouse first lit.

1862
February
Charles Gould’s second geological expedition to the west has disappointing results.

1863
January
Opening of the newly constructed Tasmanian Museum, Hobart.

1864
Foundation stone of Launceston Town Hall laid.

April
First shipment of trout and salmon ova arrives in Hobart.

1866
September 27
Hobart Town Hall opened.

December 20
A Symphony Society formed.

1867
First issue of The Tasmanian Catholic Standard appears.
George Peacock begins one of the first jam factories in Australia at Hobart (later owned by Henry Jones and Co.).

1868
The Education Act passes, making Tasmania the first place in Australia to introduce a compulsory State education system.

January 6
Tasmania’s first Royal Visit begins, during which Prince Alfred (Duke of Edinburgh) lays the foundation stone of the new St David’s Church, Hobart and turns the first sod of the Launceston and Western Railway.

1869
May 1
A submarine telegraphic cable successfully establishes contact between Tasmania and Victoria.

March 3
Aboriginal, William Lanney, dies. His body is raided and mutilated  for scientific study.

1870
Tasmanian Public Library formally constituted.

August 17
Britain withdraws its remaining garrison from Tasmania.

1871
February 10
Opening of the Launceston-Deloraine (Western) Railway.

December 4
James ‘Philosopher’ Smith discovers tin at Mt Bischoff.

1872
October 23
Direct telegraphic communication between Tasmania and England established.

1873
Mt Bischoff Tin Mining Co. formed.

1874
Payable tin deposits found in north-east Tasmania.
Waverley Woollen Mills, Launceston established.

1875
Nightingale system of nurse training introduced to Hobart Hospital providing the first professional nurse training in Tasmania.
Launceston Football Club formed.

February
Elwick Race Course opened by the Tasmanian Racing Club, Hobart.

1876
March
Main Line of Railway from Hobart to Launceston opens.

May 8
Aboriginal woman, Truganini, dies.

October
Foundation stone of the Tasmanian Turf Club’s Mowbray race course laid, Launceston.

1877
July
Gold discovered at Beaconsfield.

September 17
Port Arthur penal station closed.

1878
Royal Society of Tasmania acquires Truganini’s skeleton.
Tin mining commences at Heemskirk.

February 1
Waratah-Emu Bay tramway (later converted to a railway) opens to traffic.

1879
Esk Brewery (later J. Boag and Sons) established, Launceston.

March 1
Currie Harbour lighthouse first lit.

1880
May 20
Derwent Sailing Boat Club (later Royal Yacht Club of Tasmania) formed.

1881
William Shoobridge makes first trial shipment of Tasmanian apples to Britain.
Waste Lands Act allows for reservation of areas for preservation and growth of forests.

January 1
Name of capital changed from Hobart Town to Hobart.

February
An Aboriginal Reserve created on Cape Barren Island.

1882
March
Announcement made that scab has been eradicated from Tasmanian sheep due to measures taken under the Scab Eradication Act 1870.

October 9
The Married Women’s Property Act passes allowing married women to own property in their own right.

December
Silver discovered at Zeehan by Frank Long.

1883
Trades and Labour Council established in Hobart.
Government telephone exchanges open in Hobart (August 6) and Launceston (December 12).

November
Gold discovered at the ‘Iron Blow’ at Mt Lyell.

November 20
Salvation Army branch established in Tasmania.

1884
Miss Swan founds a sketching club (later the Arts Society of Tasmania).

November 24
The Fisheries Act passes providing for inspection and regulation of the State’s fisheries.

1885
May 13
Parattah-Oatlands railway opens.

May 30
Deloraine to Mersey (Devonport) railway opens.

December 5
The State Forests Act 1885 passes leading to the appointment of G. S. Perrin as the first Conservator of Forests.

1886
January 1
Local Boards of Health established under the Public Health Act 1885.
Tasmanian Museum and Botanical Gardens transferred to the Government.

January 25
The first assembly of the Federal Council of Australia is held in Hobart.

August 2
Fingal railway opened.

1887
St. John’s Ambulance Association established, Launceston.
New Golden Gate mine, Mathinna opens.
Diego Bernacchi floats a company to develop the resources of Maria Island.
Outbreak of smallpox and typhoid in Launceston.

September 1
Derwent Valley railway line to New Norfolk opens.

1888
February 1
Technical School opens in Hobart.

August 1
Table Cape lighthouse officially opened.

October 9
Launceston proclaimed a city.

1889
January 1
Launceston Technical School opened.

April 20
Zeehan Branch of the Amalgamated Miners Association formed.

May 1
Eddystone Point lighthouse first lit.

August 9
Scottsdale railway opened.

September 12
Mersey Bluff lighthouse first lit.

1890
Payment of Members of Parliament introduced.
Foundation stone of Albert Hall, Launceston laid.

January 1
University of Tasmania established.

July 8
Devonport-Ulverstone railway line opens.

1891
April
Queen Victoria Museum, Launceston opened.

June 1
Maatsuyker Island lighthouse first lit.

August 3
Van Diemen's Land Bank collapses, signalling start of economic depression.

November 25
Official opening of Launceston International Industrial Exhibition.

December
Council of Agriculture formed.

1892
First successful butter factory opened at Wynyard (Table Cape Butter and Bacon Factory Ltd).
Maria Island Company goes into liquidation.

February 4
Railway line from Strahan to Zeehan opened.

1893
March
Mt Lyell Mining and Railway Company formed.

April
Labour-oriented Clipper commences publication.

May
Tasmanian Tourist Association formed to promote island.

September 21
Electric trams begin operations in Hobart.

1894
February 5
School of Mines, Zeehan, opens.

1895
December 10
Launceston becomes first city in Australia to have streets lit by electricity (from the Duck Reach power station).

1896
J. W. Beattie appointed colony’s official photographer.
District Nursing Association formed.

January 7
Tattersall’s Lottery established by George Adams.

1897
January 20
Hare-Clark electoral system first used on trial basis.

February 5
First shipment of blister copper sent from Mt Lyell to London.

March 18
Official opening of Mt Lyell Railway from Queenstown to Teepookana.

May 4
Southern Tasmanian Football Association formed.

October
Queen Victoria Hospital for Women opened in Launceston (one of the first such institutions established by a group of Australian women).

December 31
Bushfires in southern Tasmania leave 6 people dead.

1898
June 3
Referendum held to determine if Tasmania should join Federation and Tasmanians vote 4 to 1 in favour.

October
The Police Act passed centralising Tasmania’s police force.

November 18
Hobart streets lit by electricity.

November 28
British Southern Cross Antarctic Expedition led by Borchgrevink arrives in Hobart.
Tasmanian Louis Bernacchi joins expedition as a physicist.

1899
February
Gaiety Theatre opens in Zeehan.

June 28
Cape Sorell Lighthouse opened.

October 27
First troops leave for Boer War from Launceston.

November 1
Gurney’s Agricultural Technical School opened, Ulverstone.

November 2
Mt Lyell Mining and Railway Company railway line (Teepookana to Regatta Point) opened.

1900
February 22
Cessation of Hobart whaling operations with the return to port of the Helen.

September 14
Adult male suffrage for the House of Assembly introduced, with property qualifications and plural voting abolished.

December 21
Emu Bay Railway Rosebery-Zeehan opened.

December 29
Macquarie Island included as a Dependency of Tasmania.

Previous PageNext Page


Bookmark and Share. Opens in a new window


© Commonwealth of Australia 2014

Unless otherwise noted, content on this website is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 Australia Licence together with any terms, conditions and exclusions as set out in the website Copyright notice. For permission to do anything beyond the scope of this licence and copyright terms contact us.