APPENDIX 1 ICNPO CLASSIFICATION
Culture and Recreation
Education and Research
Development and Housing
Law, Advocacy and Politics
Philanthropic Intermediaries and Voluntarism Promotion
Business and Professional Associations, Unions
Not Elsewhere Classified
INTERNATIONAL CLASSIFICATION OF NON-PROFIT ORGANISATIONS
The International Classification of Non-Profit Organisations (ICNPO) is the recommended classification for Not-for-profit organisations in the United Nations Handbook on Non-Profit Institutions in the Systems of National Accounts. It is fundamentally an activity classification system, although some purpose criteria have been included where activities are similar.
The complete ICNPO is described in the following paragraphs. For the purposes of the 2006-07 Not-for-profit Organisations Survey, the following adjustments were made to the ICNPO:
GROUP 1: CULTURE AND RECREATION
1 100 Culture and arts
- Groups 5-9 have been merged to form one Group - 'Environment, development, housing, employment, law, philanthropic and international'
- Hospitals have been removed from Group 3: Health to form a separate Group - 'Hospitals'.
- Group 12 Not elsewhere classified is referred to as 'Other activities'.
1 200 Sports
- Media and communications - Production and dissemination of information and communication; includes radio and TV stations; publishing of books, journals, newspapers and newsletters; film production; and libraries.
- Visual arts, architecture, ceramic art - Production, dissemination and display of visual arts and architecture; includes sculpture, photographic societies, painting, drawing, design centres and architectural associations.
- Performing arts - Performing arts centres, companies and associations; includes theatre, dance, ballet, opera, orchestras, choirs and music ensembles.
- Historical, literary and humanistic societies - Promotion and appreciation of the humanities, preservation of historical and cultural artifacts and commemoration of historical events; includes historical societies, poetry and literary societies, language associations, reading promotion, war memorials and commemorative funds and associations.
- Museums - General and specialised museums covering art, history, sciences, technology and culture.
- Zoos and aquariums.
1 300 Other recreation and social clubs
- Provision of amateur sport, training, physical fitness and sport competition services and events; includes fitness and wellness centres.
GROUP 2: EDUCATION AND RESEARCH
2 100 Primary and secondary education
- Recreation and social clubs - Provision of recreational facilities and services to individuals and communities; includes playground associations, country clubs, men's and women's clubs, touring clubs and leisure clubs.
- Service clubs - Membership organisations providing services to members and local communities, for example, Lions, Rotary Club.
2 200 Higher education
- Elementary, primary and secondary education - Education at elementary, primary and secondary levels; includes pre-school organisations other than day care.
2 300 Other education
- Higher education - Higher learning, providing academic degrees; includes universities, business management schools, law schools and medical schools.
2 400 Research
- Vocational/technical schools - Technical and vocational training specifically geared towards gaining employment; includes trade schools, paralegal training and secretarial schools.
- Adult/continuing education - Institutions engaged in providing education and training in addition to the formal educational system; includes schools of continuing studies, correspondence schools, night schools and sponsored literacy and reading programs.
GROUP 3: HEALTH
3 100 Hospitals and rehabilitation
- Medical research - Research in the medical field; includes research on specific diseases, disorders or medical disciplines.
- Science and technology - Research in the physical and life sciences and engineering and technology.
- Social sciences, policy studies - Research and analysis in the social sciences and policy area.
3 200 Nursing homes
- Hospitals - Primarily inpatient medical care and treatment.
- Rehabilitation - Inpatient health care and rehabilitative therapy to individuals suffering from physical impairments due to injury, genetic defect or disease and requiring extensive physiotherapy or similar forms of care.
3 300 Mental health and crisis intervention
- Nursing homes - Inpatient convalescent care and residential care, as well as primary health care services; includes homes for the frail elderly and nursing homes for the severely handicapped.
3 400 Other health services
- Psychiatric hospitals - Inpatient care and treatment for the mentally ill.
- Mental health treatment - Outpatient treatment for mentally ill patients; includes community mental health centres and halfway homes.
- Crisis intervention - Outpatient services and counsel in acute mental health situations; includes suicide prevention and support to victims of assault and abuse.
GROUP 4: SOCIAL SERVICES
4 100 Social services
- Public health and wellness education - Public health promotion and health education; includes sanitation screening for potential health hazards, first aid training and services and family planning services.
- Health treatment, primarily outpatient - Organisations that provide primarily outpatient health services, e.g., health clinics and vaccination centres.
- Rehabilitative medical services - Outpatient therapeutic care; includes nature cure centres, yoga clinics and physical therapy centres.
- Emergency medical services - Services to persons in need of immediate care; includes ambulatory services and paramedical emergency care, shock/trauma programs, lifeline programs and ambulance services.
4 200 Emergency and relief
- Child welfare, child services and day care - Services to children, adoption services, child development centres, foster care; includes infant care centres and nurseries.
- Youth services and youth welfare - Services to youth; includes delinquency prevention services, teen pregnancy prevention, drop-out prevention, youth centres and clubs and job programs for youth; includes YMCA, YWCA, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts and Big Brothers/Big Sisters.
- Family services - Services to families; includes family life/parent education, single parent agencies and services and family violence shelters and services.
- Services for the handicapped - Services for the handicapped; includes homes, other than nursing homes, transport facilities, recreation and other specialised services.
- Services for the elderly - Organisations providing geriatric care; includes in-home services, homemaker services, transport facilities, recreation, meal programs and other services geared towards senior citizens (does not include residential nursing homes).
- Self-help and other personal social services - Programs and services for self-help and personal development; includes support groups, personal counselling and credit counselling/money management services.
4 300 Income support and maintenance
- Disaster/emergency prevention and control - Organisations that work to prevent, predict, control and alleviate the effects of disasters, to educate or otherwise prepare individuals to cope with the effects of disasters, or to provide relief to disaster victims; includes volunteer fire departments, life boat services etc.
- Temporary shelters - Organisations providing temporary shelters to the homeless; includes travellers' aid and temporary housing.
- Refugee assistance - Organisations providing food, clothing, shelter and services to refugees and immigrants.
GROUP 5: ENVIRONMENT
5 100 Environment
- Income support and maintenance - Organisations providing cash assistance and other forms of direct services to persons unable to maintain a livelihood.
- Material assistance - Organisations providing food, clothing, transport and other forms of assistance; includes food banks and clothing distribution centres.
5 200 Animal protection
- Pollution abatement and control - Organisations that promote clean air, clean water, reducing and preventing noise pollution, radiation control, treatment of hazardous wastes and toxic substances, solid waste management and recycling programs.
- Natural resources conservation and protection - Conservation and preservation of natural resources, including land, water, energy and plant resources for the general use and enjoyment of the public.
- Environmental beautification and open spaces - Botanical gardens, arboreta, horticultural programs and landscape services; Organisations promoting anti-litter campaigns; programs to preserve the parks, green spaces and open spaces in urban or rural areas; and city and highway beautification programs.
GROUP 6: DEVELOPMENT AND HOUSING
6 100 Economic, social and community development
- Animal protection and welfare - Animal protection and welfare services; includes animal shelters and humane societies.
- Wildlife preservation and protection - Wildlife preservation and protection; includes sanctuaries and refuges.
- Veterinary services - Animal hospitals and services providing care to farm and household animals and pets.
6 200 Housing
- Community and neighbourhood organisations - Organisations working towards improving the quality of life within communities or neighbourhoods, e.g., squatters' associations, local development organisations and poor people's cooperatives.
- Economic development - Programs and services to improve economic infrastructure and capacity; includes building of infrastructure, such as roads, and financial services, such as credit and savings associations, entrepreneurial programs, technical and managerial consulting and rural development assistance.
- Social development - Organisations working towards improving the institutional infrastructure and capacity to alleviate social problems and to improve general public well-being.
6 300 Employment and training
- Housing associations - Development, construction, management, leasing, financing and rehabilitation of housing.
- Housing assistance - Organisations providing housing search, legal services and related assistance.
GROUP 7: LAW, ADVOCACY AND POLITICS
7 100 Civic and advocacy organisations
- Job training programs - Organisations providing and supporting apprenticeship programs, internships, on-the-job training and other training programs.
- Vocational counselling and guidance - Vocational training and guidance, career counselling, testing and related services.
- Vocational rehabilitation and sheltered workshops - Organisations that promote self-sufficiency and income generation through job training and employment.
7 200 Law and legal services
- Advocacy organisations - Organisations that protect the rights and promote the interests of specific groups of people, e.g., the physically handicapped, the elderly, children and women.
- Civil rights associations - Organisations that work to protect or preserve individual civil liberties and human rights.
- Ethnic associations - Organisations that promote the interests of or provide services to members belonging to a specific ethnic heritage.
- Civic associations - Programs and services to encourage and spread civic mindedness.
7 300 Political organisations
- Legal services - Legal services, advice and assistance in dispute resolution and court-related matters.
- Crime prevention and public policy - Crime prevention to promote safety and precautionary measures among citizens.
- Rehabilitation of offenders - Programs and services to reintegrate offenders; includes halfway houses, probation and parole programs, prison alternatives.
- Victim support - Services, counsel and advice to victims of crime.
- Consumer protection associations - Protection of consumer rights and the improvement of product control and quality.
GROUP 8: PHILANTHROPIC INTERMEDIARIES AND VOLUNTARISM PROMOTION
8 100 Grant-making foundations
- Political parties and organisations - Activities and services to support the placing of particular candidates into political office; includes dissemination of information, public relations and political fundraising.
8 200 Other philanthropic intermediaries and voluntarism promotion
- Grant-making foundations - Private foundations; including corporate foundations, community foundations and independent public law foundations.
GROUP 9: INTERNATIONAL
9 100 International activities
- Volunteerism promotion and support - Organisations that recruit, train and place volunteers and promote volunteering.
- Fundraising organisations - Federated, collective fundraising organisations; includes lotteries.
GROUP 10: RELIGION
10 100 Religious congregations and associations
- Exchange/friendship/cultural programs - Programs and services designed to encourage mutual respect and friendship internationally.
- Development assistance associations - Programs and projects that promote social and economic development abroad.
- International disaster and relief organisations - Organisations that collect, channel and provide aid to other countries during times of disaster or emergency.
- International human rights and peace organisations - Organisations which promote and monitor human rights and peace internationally.
GROUP 11: BUSINESS AND PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS, UNIONS
11 100 Business associations
- Congregations - Churches, synagogues, temples, mosques, shrines, monasteries, seminaries and similar organisations promoting religious beliefs and administering religious services and rituals.
- Associations of congregations - Associations and auxiliaries of religious congregations and organisations supporting and promoting religious beliefs, services and rituals.
11 200 Professional associations
- Business associations - Organisations that work to promote, regulate and safeguard the interests of special branches of business, e.g. manufacturers’ association, farmers’ association and bankers’ association.
11 300 Labour unions
- Professional associations - Organisations promoting, regulating and protecting professional interests, e.g., bar associations and medical associations.
GROUP 12: NOT ELSEWHERE CLASSIFIED
12 100 Not elsewhere classified
- Labour unions - Organisations that promote, protect and regulate the rights and interests of employees.
- All other not-for-profit organisations.