The Queen Victoria Museum and Art Gallery (QVMAG) was established by the Tasmanian Government in 1891. Since 1895 its management has been vested in the Launceston City Council, with financial support from an annual State Government grant. It is the largest museum and art gallery outside a capital city in Australia, and has developed as an important institution, recognised nationally. It's particularly known for its fine collections of Australian colonial art, contemporary art and craft, Tasmanian natural and social history, Chinese temple and planetarium.
The Museum is located on two sites, the original purpose-built building in Royal Park and the Inveresk site, once the Launceston Railway Workshops.
The development of the Launceston Railway Workshops is a story of transformation. Stage one was the development of the Tasmanian Conservation Centre, which provided the State with national standard conservation laboratories and workshops. Stage two, which opened in November 2001, saw the development of a new art gallery and associated facilities, including the Academy of the Arts, a joint venture between the University of Tasmania and TAFE Tasmania.
Further information can be found on the Queen Victoria Museum and Art Gallery web site at http://www.qvmag.tas.gov.au.
QUEEN VICTORIA MUSEUM AND ART GALLERY ACTIVITY
|Total Museum and Art Gallery attendees |
|Public inquiries |
|Exhibitions mounted |
|Exhibitions toured |
|Public programs |
Source: Queen Victoria Museum and Art Gallery, Annual Report 2003-2004.
|This section contains the following subsection :|
This page last updated 21 November 2006