Australian Bureau of Statistics

Rate this page
ABS Home > Statistics > By Release Date
ABS @ Facebook ABS @ Twitter ABS RSS ABS Email notification service
1384.6 - Statistics - Tasmania, 2005  
Previous ISSUE Released at 11:30 AM (CANBERRA TIME) 13/09/2002   
   Page tools: Print Print Page Print all pages in this productPrint All RSS Feed RSS Bookmark and Share Search this Product  
Contents >> Fishing >> Aquaculture >> Main species farmed >> Pacific oysters

The Pacific oyster (Crassostrea gigas) was introduced to Tasmania after World War II, but collection from natural spat settlements was marginal and unreliable. Since the 1980s, farmers have had access to reliable supplies of oyster spat grown in a hatchery environment, which has enabled the rapid development of full commercial production.

Approximately 14% of production is sold in Tasmania; most of the remaining 86% is sold to mainland Australian markets and 4% is sold to overseas markets such as Japan, Singapore, Hong Kong and Thailand.

Previous PageNext Page

Bookmark and Share. Opens in a new window

Commonwealth of Australia 2016

Unless otherwise noted, content on this website is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 Australia Licence together with any terms, conditions and exclusions as set out in the website Copyright notice. For permission to do anything beyond the scope of this licence and copyright terms contact us.