ABOUT THIS PUBLICATION
This publication presents results in respect of 1996-97 from a census of employing businesses mainly engaged in the sound recording studios industry. The ABS previously conducted a survey of sound recording studios in respect of 1995-96. However, direct comparisons of results are not possible. The 1995-96 survey excluded freelance recording personnel, location sound recordists and mobile studios which were included in the 1996-97 survey. Also, the 1995-96 survey included sound recording studio businesses mainly engaged in composing advertising and jingles, and in operating audio/multimedia schools, which were excluded from the 1996-97 survey. Unlike the 1996-97 survey, the 1995-96 survey included non-employing businesses.
- There were 190 businesses in the sound recording studios industry at the end of June 1997. Sole proprietorship's and partnerships accounted for 25 (13%) of the businesses while there were 138 (73%) businesses operating as incorporated companies.
- Businesses in the industry generated $43.6m in income in 1996-97, of which $20.9m was income from hire of the studios and $19.4m was income from the provision of other sound recording services, such as audio mastering services, audio post-production services, location recording services, advertising production and message on hold services.
- Total expenses of businesses in the industry was $38.5m in 1996-97. The major expense item was labour costs, which accounted for $12.5m (33% of total expenses). Other significant expense items included $3.5m for payments to freelance
personnel, $3.6m for rent, leasing and hiring expenses and $3.5m for depreciation and amortisation. Other operating expenses were $9.6m and included items such as motor vehicle expenses, advertising expenses, telephone expenses and staff training expenses.
- Employment in the industry totalled 499 persons at 30 June 1997. Of these, 462 (93%) were employees, with the remaining 7% being working proprietors and partners. Almost two-thirds (65%) of persons employed in sound recording studio businesses were male. Of the males, 70% were employed full-time, whereas only 57% of females were employed full-time. Overall, 66% of people employed in the industry worked full-time.
- In 1996-97, the sound recording studios industry generated an operating profit before tax of $5.1m, which represented an operating profit margin of 11.7%. The operating profit before tax per person employed for 1996-97 was $10,200.
- There were 23 sound recording studio businesses which had an income of $500,000 or more in 1996-97. These businesses comprised 12% of all businesses in the industry, but accounted for 34% of the industry's employment, and slightly over half (55%) of its income.
- About one-half (51%) of the sound recording studio businesses were located in New South Wales. A further 28% were located in Victoria and 11% in Queensland. In terms of the level of activity, New South Wales and Victoria generated similar amounts of income. The income of businesses in New South Wales totalled $17.5m, while those in Victoria had income of $16.5m.
- At the end of June 1997, assets of sound recording studio businesses totalled $36.8m while liabilities totalled $24.4m. Thus, the net worth of the sound recording studio industry was $12.4m.
This page last updated 6 April 2009