Australian Bureau of Statistics
3101.0 - Australian Demographic Statistics, Sep 2009 Quality Declaration
Previous ISSUE Released at 11:30 AM (CANBERRA TIME) 25/03/2010
|Page tools: Print Page Print All RSS Search this Product|
Australia's population exceeds 22 million
Australia's population reached 22,066,000 as at 30 September 2009, according to figures released today by the Australian Bureau of Statistics.This is an increase of 451,900 people over the previous year, keeping the growth rate high at 2.1%.
The majority of this growth (66%), was due to net overseas migration, with the remainder (34%) due to natural increase (the excess of births over deaths).
The total number of births registered for the year ending 30 September 2009 was 296,300, 0.3% fewer than the previous year. The total number of deaths registered over the same period was 141,800, 0.3% more than the previous year.
Preliminary figures show that net overseas migration for the September quarter 2009 (72,300 people) was 1,600 people lower than for the September quarter 2008 (73,800).
For the year ended September 2009, net overseas migration was 297,400 people, 3.1% or 9,000 people higher than the previous year.
More details are available in Australian Demographic Statistics, September Quarter 2009 (cat. no. 3101.0).
For population estimates at the regional level please see Regional Population Growth, Australia, 2008-09 (cat. no. 3218.0) (scheduled for release on 30 March 2010) and Population by Age and Sex, Regions of Australia, 2008 (cat. no. 3235.0).
Please ensure that you attribute the Australian Bureau of Statistics (or the ABS) as the source when reporting on ABS data.
These documents will be presented in a new window.
This page last updated 23 June 2010