Australian Bureau of Statistics

Rate the ABS website
ABS Home > Statistics > By Release Date
ABS @ Facebook ABS @ Twitter ABS RSS ABS Email notification service
4172.0 - Arts and Culture in Australia: A Statistical Overview, 2007  
Previous ISSUE Released at 11:30 AM (CANBERRA TIME) 18/06/2007  Reissue
   Page tools: Print Print Page Print all pages in this productPrint All RSS Feed RSS Bookmark and Share Search this Product  

GOVERNMENT FUNDING

In 2004-05, government funding for cultural activities totalled $5,014.9m, with state and territory governments providing almost half (47% or $2,356.3m), the Australian Government contributing 35% ($1,760.9m), and local government making up the balance of 18% ($897.7m).


Funding for capital expenditure accounted for 10% of cultural funding by all levels of government, while recurrent expenditure accounted for the remaining 90%.


Apart from direct funding, the Australian Government also provides assistance through tax concessions such as the Cultural Gifts Program, which offers tax deductions to encourage the donation of items of cultural significance to public art galleries, museums and libraries.


According to the Department of Communications, Information Technology and the Arts (DCITA) Annual Report for 2004-05, 652 donations were made to the program in that year with a total value of $47.3m.

4.1 Cultural funding by level of government - 2004-05

Value of funding
Percentage of total
$m
%

Australian Government
Heritage
Art museums and galleries
46.3
0.9
Other museums
182.1
3.6
Nature parks and reserves
73.3
1.5
Zoological parks, aquaria and botanic gardens
9.6
0.2
Libraries and archives
120.1
2.4
Total
431.5
8.6
Arts
Literature and print media
27.6
0.6
Performing arts
100.7
2.0
Performing arts venues
0.1
-
Visual arts and crafts
16.1
0.3
Broadcasting and film
1 096.5
21.9
Community cultural centres and activities
11.8
0.2
Administration of culture
31.3
0.6
Other arts n.e.c.
45.4
0.9
Total
1 329.4
26.5
Total
1 760.9
35.1
State and territory governments
Heritage
Art museums and galleries
170.7
3.4
Other museums
301.7
6.0
Nature parks and reserves
935.6
18.7
Zoological parks, aquaria and botanic gardens
136.9
2.7
Libraries and archives
395.3
7.9
Total
1 940.2
38.7
Arts
Literature and print media
4.7
0.1
Performing arts
75.1
1.5
Performing arts venues
162.9
3.2
Visual arts and crafts
16.4
0.3
Broadcasting and film
70.6
1.4
Community cultural centres and activities
9.3
0.2
Administration of culture
36.7
0.7
Other arts n.e.c.
40.4
0.8
Total
416.1
8.3
Total
2 356.3
47.0
Local government
897.7
17.9
Total funding by all levels of government
5 014.9
100.0

- nil or rounded to zero (including null cells)
ABS, Cultural Funding by Government, 2004-05 (cat. no. 4183.0)


In 2004-05, the majority of Australian Government cultural funding supported Arts activities ($1,329.4m or 76% of total Australian Government funding). Broadcasting and film was the main beneficiary receiving over half of the total funding provided ($1096.5m or 62%).


In contrast, state and territory governments directed the majority of their funding to Heritage activities ($1,940.2m or 82%) in 2004-05. Nature parks and reserves received $935.6m representing 40% of the total state and territory government funding for cultural activities.


The Australian Government and state and territory governments increased their funding of cultural activities over the period 2001-02 to 2004-05, Australian Government funding increased by 8.7% and state and territory government funding increased by 6.7%. Local government funding of cultural activities reduced by 5% over the period 2003-04 to 2004-05.

4.2 Cultural funding, 2001-02 to 2004-05
Graph: Cultural funding, 2001–02 to 2004–05


Previous PageNext Page

Bookmark and Share. Opens in a new window


Commonwealth of Australia 2014

Unless otherwise noted, content on this website is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 Australia Licence together with any terms, conditions and exclusions as set out in the website Copyright notice. For permission to do anything beyond the scope of this licence and copyright terms contact us.