Australian Bureau of Statistics

Rate the ABS website
ABS Home > Statistics > By Release Date
ABS @ Facebook ABS @ Twitter ABS RSS ABS Email notification service
4172.0 - Arts and Culture in Australia: A Statistical Overview, 2007  
Previous ISSUE Released at 11:30 AM (CANBERRA TIME) 18/06/2007  Reissue
   Page tools: Print Print Page Print all pages in this productPrint All RSS Feed RSS Bookmark and Share Search this Product  
Contents >> 8.0 Museums - Introduction >> 8.2 Organisations

ORGANISATIONS

The 2003-04 ABS Survey of Museums defined a museum as an establishment which is involved in acquiring, conserving, researching into, communicating and exhibiting material evidence of people, their culture and environment for the purposes of study, education and enjoyment by the general public. The scope of the 2003-04 Museums Survey was employing and non-employing businesses and organisations that were mainly engaged in the operation of museums and art galleries. The scope also included other museums/galleries registered as having a collection with Australian Museums and Galleries OnLine (AMOL). The scope excluded organisations mainly engaged in the operation of botanic gardens; herbariums; zoological gardens; aquariums; observatories and planetariums; public libraries; and science centres.


In June 2004, there were 1,329 museum establishments operating in Australia. Of these, 12% were Art galleries, and the remaining 88% were classified as Other museums. Historic properties which were being conserved for their historic, scientific, aesthetic, social or architectural value were considered to be part of this Other museums category.

8.4 NUMBER OF MUSEUM ESTABLISHMENTS - June 2004

Number
Per cent
no.
%

Art galleries
160
12.0
Other museums
Social history museums
673
50.6
Historic properties or sites
381
28.7
Natural, science and other museums
116
8.7
Total
1 169
88.0
Total
1 329
100.0

ABS, Museums, Australia, 2003-04 (cat. no. 8560.0).


Previous PageNext Page


Bookmark and Share. Opens in a new window


Commonwealth of Australia 2014

Unless otherwise noted, content on this website is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 Australia Licence together with any terms, conditions and exclusions as set out in the website Copyright notice. For permission to do anything beyond the scope of this licence and copyright terms contact us.