DECEMBER KEY FIGURES
Sep Qtr 2007
Dec Qtr 2007
Dec Qtr 2007
Dec Qtr 2007
Non-financial domestic sectors
|Non-financial corporations |
|National public |
|State and local public |
|General government |
|State and local |
Total demand for credit
Credit market outstandings
DECEMBER KEY POINTS
- Total demand for credit by the non-financial domestic sectors for the December quarter 2007 was $50.9b, a decrease of $8.6b on the previous quarter estimate. Decreased demand by private non-financial corporations (down $20.0b) was the major contributor to the decrease, offset by increased demand (up $13.1b) by households.
- Private non-financial corporations raised a net $15.3b, with loans of $15.2b being the major contributor.
- National general government raised a net $0.3b through loan issuance during the quarter. State and local general government repaid a net of $1.1b, mainly through their loans with central borrowing authorities.
- Households raised a net $32.5b during the December quarter 2007, up from the September quarter estimate of $19.4b. Households borrowed $41.5b from banks (of which $26.4b was for owner-occupied housing and $9.9b for investment housing) and repaid $13.2b to financial intermediaries n.e.c. (up $11.2b from the September quarter).
|ISSUE (QUARTER) ||Release Date|
|March 2008 ||27 June 2008|
|June 2008 ||26 September 2008|
CHANGES TO THIS ISSUE
There are no significant changes in this issue.
There were no significant events impacting the aggregates this quarter.
REVISIONS IN THIS ISSUE
There have been revisions back to March quarter 2006 to previously published aggregates due to:
- quality assurance work undertaken with data providers to ABS Survey of Financial Information, ABS Survey of International Investment and APRA administrative data sets.
- revisions to data sources and the methods used in the compilation of the listed and unlisted equity markets have resulted in some significant revisions to the estimated values in these markets.
CONFIDENTIALITY OF FUTURE FUND
During the June quarter 2007, the Future Fund commenced investment activity. The Future Fund is a National General Government (NGG) unit and thus the investment activity and associated holdings of assets are recorded as part of the NGG sector. In order to maximise the availability of information about the activities of the NGG sector, ABS legislation allows the publication of identifiable information about this sector except where a request for confidentiality has been received from the relevant Minister. A request has been received and the relevant estimates have been confidentialised in this publication. The estimates will remain confidential in all future releases published up to and including 30 June 2008. As a consequence of suppressing estimates concerning the Future Fund's investment activity, it has been necessary to consequentially suppress other series in the affected tables to preserve confidentiality.
Following release of information by the Future Fund in February 2008, the ABS has received consent to remove suppression previously applied to a small number of series.
For further information about these and related statistics, contact the National Information and Referral Service on 1300 135 070 or Steve Whennan on Canberra (02) 6252 6711.