Australian Bureau of Statistics

Rate the ABS website
ABS Home > Statistics > By Release Date
5518.0.55.001 - Government Finance Statistics, Education, Australia -- Electronic Delivery, 2004-05  
Previous ISSUE Released at 11:30 AM (CANBERRA TIME) 29/03/2006   
   Page tools: Print Print Page Print all pages in this productPrint All RSS Feed RSS Bookmark and Share Search this Product

ABOUT THIS ELECTRONIC RELEASE

This electronic release contains statistics on expenditure on education by the general government sector for the period 1999-2000 to 2004-05. These data are presented on an accrual accounting basis and are taken from the system of Government Finance Statistics (GFS). The GFS system is designed to provide statistical information on public sector entities which is classified in a uniform and systematic way.

The contact officer for this release is Jonathan Sim on Canberra (02) 6252 5735.

SUMMARY OF FINDINGS

Government expenditure on education refers to expenditure on all levels of education, such as pre-school, primary, secondary, university, and technical and further education (TAFE), by the general government sector. It excludes expenditure on courses provided by non-educational institutions, such as the vocational training programs of private businesses.

The summary tables below present government operating expenses on education by level of government, by purpose (i.e. by type of education), and by economic transaction (i.e. by type of expenditure) for the period 1999-2000 to 2004-05.

Government operating expenses on education by all levels of general government totalled $47,217m in 2004-05, $26,232m of which was spent on primary and secondary education and a further $17,086m on tertiary education (universities and TAFE). Employee expenses of $25,439m accounted for 53.9% of total educational expenses with the remaining 46.1% being on non-employee expenses ($11,208m), depreciation ($2,036m), and transfer expenses ($8,534m).


GOVERNMENT OPERATING EXPENSES ON EDUCATION, BY LEVEL OF GOVERNMENT

1999-2000
2000-01
2001-02
2002-03
2003-04
2004-05
$m
$m
$m
$m
$m
$m

Commonwealth Government
9960
10971
11770
12110
13398
14382
State and Local Governments
23809
25332
27252
29419
31089
34077
Multi-jurisdictional (a)
8744
9361
10016
10974
11738
12671
Less: Intra-sector transfers
9679
10369
11139
11579
12825
13913
All Levels of Government
32834
35294
37899
40924
43401
47217

(a) The multi-jurisdictional sector contains units where jurisdiction is shared between two or more governments, or the classification of a unit to a jurisdiction is otherwise unclear. The main type of units falling into this category are public universities.

GOVERNMENT OPERATING EXPENSES ON EDUCATION, BY PURPOSE, ALL LEVELS OF GOVERNMENT

1999-2000
2000-01
2001-02
2002-03
2003-04
2004-05
$m
$m
$m
$m
$m
$m

Primary and secondary education
18401
19576
20902
22377
23971
26232
Tertiary education
12137
12945
13939
15102
15975
17086
Pre-school & education not definable by level
1211
1356
1427
1598
1797
1978
Transportation of students
817
827
900
1137
949
1145
Education n.e.c.
268
590
732
709
709
776
Total
32834
35294
37899
40924
43401
47217


GOVERNMENT OPERATING EXPENSES ON EDUCATION, BY ECONOMIC TRANSACTION, ALL LEVELS OF GOVERNMENT

1999-2000
2000-01
2001-02
2002-03
2003-04
2004-05
$m
$m
$m
$m
$m
$m

Employee expenses
18530
19748
20755
22545
23658
25439
Non-employee expenses
8106
8175
9137
9521
10232
11208
Depreciation of fixed assets
1628
1630
1669
1870
1891
2036
Current transfer expenses
4454
5575
6168
6802
7380
8245
Capital transfer expenses
116
166
170
185
239
289
Total
32834
35294
37899
40924
43401
47217



Bookmark and Share. Opens in a new window

Commonwealth of Australia 2014

Unless otherwise noted, content on this website is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 Australia Licence together with any terms, conditions and exclusions as set out in the website Copyright notice. For permission to do anything beyond the scope of this licence and copyright terms contact us.