DECEMBER KEY FIGURES
Dec Qtr 2007
Sep Qtr 2008
Dec Qtr 2008
|CONSOLIDATED ASSETS |
|Superannuation funds |
|Public unit trusts |
|Life insurance offices(a) |
|All other managed funds |
1 395 643
1 288 159
1 197 185
|(a) Investments by superannuation funds which are held and administered by life insurance offices are included under life insurance offices. |
|Note: See note on consolidation in Explanatory Notes, paragraph 11. |
DECEMBER KEY POINTS
Type of institution
Type of asset
- At 31 December 2008, total consolidated assets of managed funds institutions was $1,197.2b, a decrease of $91.0b (7%) on the revised September quarter 2008 figure of $1,288.2b.
- Consolidated assets of superannuation funds decreased by $61.3b (8%); life insurance offices decreased by $15.1b (8%); public unit trusts decreased by $13.3b (5%); cash management trusts decreased by $1.1b (2%); and common funds decreased by $0.3b (2%). Consolidated assets of friendly societies remained virtually the same.
- Investment in equities and units in trusts decreased by $67.2b (14%); assets overseas decreased by $29.2b (12%), short term securities decreased by $10.2b (10%) and long term securities decreased by $3.5b (4%). These falls were partially offset by increases in cash and deposits, up $15.1b (10%) and other assets, up $4.7b (9%).
- These movements are primarily the result of valuation changes. During the December quarter 2008, the S&P/ASX 200 fell 19.1%, the price of US shares (represented by the S&P 500) fell 22.6% and the A$ depreciated against the US$ by 13.4%.
- At 31 December 2008, investment managers had $1,006.0b in funds under management, down $128.7b (11%) on the revised September quarter 2008 figure of $1,134.7b. They managed $682.9b (57%) of the consolidated assets of managed funds institutions.
REVISIONS IN THIS ISSUE
|ISSUE (QUARTER) ||Release Date|
|March 2009 ||28 May 2009|
|June 2009 ||27 August 2009|
|September 2009 ||26 November 2009|
|December 2009 ||25 February 2010|
There have been revisions in some series as a result of quality assurance work undertaken with data providers and the receipt of revised administrative data. Specifically, superannuation data has been revised back to June 2005; life insurance offices data back to March 2008; public unit trust data back to June 2008; and cash management trust, common fund and investment manager data back to September 2008. No revisions were made to friendly society data.
For further information about these and related statistics, contact the National Information and Referral Service on 1300 135 070 or Judy Sykes on Canberra (02) 6252 5222.
This page last updated 27 May 2009