Australian Bureau of Statistics

Rate the ABS website
ABS Home > Statistics > By Release Date
5518.0.55.001 - Government Finance Statistics, Education, Australia, 2005-06  
Previous ISSUE Released at 11:30 AM (CANBERRA TIME) 03/04/2007   
   Page tools: Print Print Page Print all pages in this productPrint All RSS Feed RSS Bookmark and Share Search this Product

MAIN FEATURES

This release contains statistics on expenditure on education by the general government sector for the period 2000-01 to 2005-06. These data are presented on an accrual accounting basis and are taken from the system of Government Finance Statistics (GFS).

Government expenditure on education refers to expenditure on all levels of education, such as pre-school, primary, secondary, university, and technical and further education (TAFE), by the general government sector. It excludes expenditure on courses provided by non-educational institutions, such as the vocational training programs of private businesses.

The summary tables below present government operating expenses on education by level of government, by purpose (i.e. by type of education), and by economic transaction (i.e. by type of expenditure) for the period 2000-01 to 2005-06.

Government operating expenses on education by all levels of general government totalled $49,741m in 2005-06, $27,477m of which was spent on primary and secondary education and a further $18,415m on tertiary education (universities and TAFE). Employee expenses of $27,383m accounted for 55.1% of total educational expenses with the remaining 44.9% being on non-employee expenses ($11,402m), depreciation ($1,963m), and transfer expenses ($8,993m).


GOVERNMENT OPERATING EXPENSES ON EDUCATION, BY LEVEL OF GOVERNMENT

2000-01
2001-02
2002-03
2003-04
2004-05
2005-06
$m
$m
$m
$m
$m
$m

Commonwealth Government
11,432
12,253
12,599
13,523
14,319
15,807
State and Local Governments
25,309
27,459
29,266
30,851
33,538
35,469
Multi-jurisdictional (a)
9,374
10,029
10,989
11,739
12,640
13,870
Less: Intra-sector transfers
10,849
11,630
12,087
12,906
13,889
15,405
All Levels of Government
35,265
38,110
40,767
43,208
46,608
49,741

(a) The multi-jurisdictional sector contains units where jurisdiction is shared between two or more governments, or the classification of a unit to a jurisdiction is otherwise unclear. For education the only type of units falling into this category are public universities.

GOVERNMENT OPERATING EXPENSES ON EDUCATION, BY PURPOSE, ALL LEVELS OF GOVERNMENT

2000-01
2001-02
2002-03
2003-04
2004-05
2005-06
$m
$m
$m
$m
$m
$m

Primary and secondary education
19,493
21,013
22,482
23,798
25,743
27,477
Tertiary education
12,968
14,234
15,097
15,989
17,014
18,415
Pre-school & education not definable by level
1,356
1,352
1,609
1,813
2,018
2,149
Transportation of students
859
940
868
900
1,074
1,061
Education n.e.c.
590
572
711
709
759
639
Total
35,265
38,110
40,767
43,208
46,608
49,741


GOVERNMENT OPERATING EXPENSES ON EDUCATION, BY ECONOMIC TRANSACTION, ALL LEVELS OF GOVERNMENT

2000-01
2001-02
2002-03
2003-04
2004-05
2005-06
$m
$m
$m
$m
$m
$m

Employee expenses
19,750
20,841
22,650
23,735
25,501
27,383
Non-employee expenses
8,148
9,115
9,535
10,243
10,837
11,402
Depreciation of fixed assets
1,630
1,668
1,838
1,878
1,964
1,963
Current transfer expenses
5,575
6,318
6,560
7,112
8,018
8,649
Capital transfer expenses
163
169
185
239
287
344
Total
35,265
38,110
40,767
43,208
46,608
49,741



For further information about these and related statistics, contact the National Information and Referral Service on 1300 135 070, email <client.services@abs.gov.au> or Mark Patton on Canberra (02) 6252 7589, email <public.finance@abs.gov.au>.


Bookmark and Share. Opens in a new window

Commonwealth of Australia 2014

Unless otherwise noted, content on this website is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 Australia Licence together with any terms, conditions and exclusions as set out in the website Copyright notice. For permission to do anything beyond the scope of this licence and copyright terms contact us.