Australian Bureau of Statistics

Rate the ABS website
ABS Home > Statistics > By Release Date
5518.0.55.001 - Government Finance Statistics, Education, Australia - Electronic Delivery, 2002-03  
Previous ISSUE Released at 11:30 AM (CANBERRA TIME) 01/04/2004   
   Page tools: Print Print Page Print all pages in this productPrint All RSS Feed RSS Bookmark and Share Search this Product

ABOUT THIS PUBLICATION

The Public Finance Section of the ABS is currently reviewing the content and layout of this publication and two related publications Government Finance Statistics, Australia (ABS Cat. No. 5512.0) and Taxation Revenue, Australia (ABS Cat. No. 5506.0) and welcomes feedback from users. Comments can be provided to Jonathan Sim, Assistant Director, Public Finance Section on (02) 6252 5735 or email <jonathan.sim@abs.gov.au>.

SUMMARY OF FINDINGS

Government expenditure on education refers to expenditure on all sectors of education, such as pre-school, primary, secondary, university, and technical and further education (TAFE), by the general government sector. It excludes expenditure on courses provided by non-educational institutions, such as the vocational training programs of private businesses.

The summary tables below present government operating expenses on education broken down by level of government, by purpose (ie by type of education), and by economic transaction (ie by type of expenditure) for the period 1998-99 to 2002-03.

Government operating expenses on education by all levels of general government totalled $41,004 million in 2002-03, $23,264 million of which was spent on primary and secondary education and a further $15,102 million on tertiary education (universities and TAFE). Employee expenses of $22,556 million accounted for 55% of total educational expenses with the remaining 45% being on non-employee expenses ($9,812 million), depreciation of fixed assets ($1,855 million), and transfer expenses ($6,780 million).


GOVERNMENT OPERATING EXPENSES ON EDUCATION, BY LEVEL OF GOVERNMENT

1998-99
1999-2000
2000-01
2001-02
2002-03
$m
$m
$m
$m
$m

Commonwealth Government
9,739
9,988
10,881
11,701
12,109
State and Local Governments
22,393
23,241
25,099
27,048
29,095
Multi-jurisdictional (a)
8,288
8,651
9,323
10,073
11,194
Less: Intra sector transfers
9,406
9,634
10,228
11,013
11,393
All Levels of Government
31,013
32,246
35,075
37,809
41,004

(a) The multi-jurisdictional sector currently contains units where jurisdiction is shared between two or more governments, or the classification of a unit to a jurisdiction is otherwise unclear. The main type of units falling into this category are public universities.

GOVERNMENT OPERATING EXPENSES ON EDUCATION, BY PURPOSE, ALL LEVELS OF GOVERNMENT

1998-99
1999-2000
2000-01
2001-02
2002-03
$m
$m
$m
$m
$m

Primary and secondary education
17,242
18,089
19,588
21,247
23,264
Tertiary education
11,495
11,832
12,932
13,890
15,102
Pre-school & education not by level
1,123
1,100
1,140
1,191
1,120
Transportation of students
769
817
826
900
853
Education n.e.c.
384
408
590
581
665
Total
31,013
32,246
35,075
37,809
41,004


GOVERNMENT OPERATING EXPENSES ON EDUCATION, BY ECONOMIC TRANSACTION, ALL LEVELS OF GOVERNMENT

1998-99
1999-2000
2000-01
2001-02
2002-03
$m
$m
$m
$m
$m

Employee expenses
17,935
18,490
19,664
20,816
22,556
Non-employee expenses
6,998
7,386
7,764
8,861
9,812
Depreciation of fixed assets
1,684
1,755
1,635
1,679
1,855
Current transfer expenses
4,267
4,524
5,854
6,307
6,631
Capital transfer expenses
130
109
157
146
149
Total
31,013
32,246
35,075
37,809
41,004


Bookmark and Share. Opens in a new window

Commonwealth of Australia 2014

Unless otherwise noted, content on this website is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 Australia Licence together with any terms, conditions and exclusions as set out in the website Copyright notice. For permission to do anything beyond the scope of this licence and copyright terms contact us.