Australian Bureau of Statistics

Rate the ABS website
ABS Home > Statistics > By Release Date
ABS @ Facebook ABS @ Twitter ABS RSS ABS Email notification service
4172.0 - Arts and Culture in Australia: A Statistical Overview, 2004 (Reissue)  
Previous ISSUE Released at 11:30 AM (CANBERRA TIME) 06/09/2006  Reissue
   Page tools: Print Print Page Print all pages in this productPrint All RSS Feed RSS Bookmark and Share Search this Product  
Contents >> Museums >> Organisations

ORGANISATIONS

The 1999-2000 ABS Survey of Museums defined a museum establishment as an enclosed area, which stores artefacts, artworks and museum objects and which is open to the general public. In June 2000, there were 2,049 museum establishments operating in Australia. Of these, 12% were Art museums and galleries, and the remaining 88% were classified as Other museums. Historic properties which were being conserved for their historic, scientific, aesthetic, social or architectural value were considered to be part of this Other museums category.

8.4 NUMBER OF MUSEUM ESTABLISHMENTS - June 2000

Number
%

Art museums and galleries
249
12.2
Other museums
Historic properties
411
20.1
Museums n.e.c.
1 389
67.8
Total
1 800
87.8
Total
2 049
100.0

ABS, Museums, Australia, 1999-2000 (cat. no. 8560.0).



Previous PageNext Page


Bookmark and Share. Opens in a new window


Commonwealth of Australia 2014

Unless otherwise noted, content on this website is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 Australia Licence together with any terms, conditions and exclusions as set out in the website Copyright notice. For permission to do anything beyond the scope of this licence and copyright terms contact us.