DWELLING UNIT COMMENCEMENTS ORIGINAL
Jun qtr 11
Mar qtr 11 to Jun qtr 11
Jun qtr 10 to Jun qtr 11
|New private sector houses |
|New private sector other residential building |
|Private sector conversion, etc. |
|Public sector dwellings |
|Total dwelling units |
- The total number of dwelling units commenced rose 0.8% in the June quarter 2011, to 37,159.
- Victoria (+11.6%), South Australia (+13.9%) and the Australian Capital Territory (+50.1%) were the only states and territories to show increases in the total number of dwelling unit commencements in the June quarter.
- New private sector house commencements rose 7.6% to 22,668.
- New private sector house commencements fell in Western Australia (-9.7%) and the Australian Capital Territory (-3.6%) and were flat in the Northern Territory. All other states and territories rose.
- New private sector other residential building fell 7.5%, to 13,128. This follows a revised rise of 7.7% in the March quarter.
- The total number of public sector dwellings commenced fell by 25.1% to 1,068, the lowest since June 2009.
- Public sector dwelling unit commencements fell in Victoria, Queensland, Tasmania, the Northern Territory and the Australian Capital Territory this quarter.
This page last updated 12 December 2011