Australian Bureau of Statistics

Rate the ABS website
ABS Home > Statistics > By Release Date
ABS @ Facebook ABS @ Twitter ABS RSS ABS Email notification service
7501.0 - Value of Principal Agricultural Commodities Produced, Australia, Preliminary, 2006-07 Quality Declaration 
Previous ISSUE Released at 11:30 AM (CANBERRA TIME) 12/02/2008   
   Page tools: Print Print Page Print all pages in this productPrint All RSS Feed RSS Bookmark and Share Search this Product

SUMMARY OF FINDINGS


NATIONAL ESTIMATES

In 2006-07, the preliminary estimate of the gross value of agricultural commodities produced was $34.2 billion, a fall of 10% (or $3.6 billion) on the previous year.


The value of crops fell by 20%, only slightly offset by the increased gross values of livestock slaughterings and other disposals (up by 3%), and livestock products (up by 1%) in 2006-07.

GROSS VALUE OF AGRICULTURAL COMMODITIES PRODUCED: Preliminary, 2006-07
Graph: Gross Value of Agricultural Commodities Produced: Preliminary, 2006-07




Crops

The preliminary estimate of the gross value of all crops in 2006-07 decreased by 20% to $16.0 billion, largely as a result of drought conditions.


Decreases were reported for all the major cereal crops, except grain sorghum. The value of wheat fell by 51% to $2.5 billion; barley fell by 30% to $1.0 billion; oats for grain fell by 32% to $174 million; and rice fell by 80% to $51 million. The decreased values were mainly due to significantly reduced production, partially offset by increases in average prices. The value of grain sorgum increased by 2% to $292 million, as production fell by 32% and the average price increased by 49% due to reduced supply.


Decreased values were also recorded for canola (down 59% to $202 million) and lupins for grain (down 53% to $125 million), again with lower production partially offset by increased average prices. The value of sugar cane cut for crushing rose by 12% as increased prices more than offset the fall in production. Cotton reported a 46% decrease in value to $514 million as production fell by 50% and the average price increased by 9%.


In 2006-07, the gross value of hay increased by 13% to $1.6 billion, despite a 35% fall in production. Average prices rose by 73% due to the general shortage of stock feed.


The gross value of grapes decreased by 16% to $1.1 billion in 2006-07, as production fell by 22% and average prices rose by 9% due to reduced supply.


Production of apples fell by 2% and average prices increased by 35%, resulting in a 32% increase in value to $475 million in 2006-07.



Livestock slaughterings and other disposals

In 2006-07, the preliminary estimate of the gross value of livestock slaughterings and other disposals was $12.3 billion, an increase of 3% over the previous year.


The total number of cattle and calves slaughterings and other disposals in 2006-07 rose by 9%, but average prices fell by 4%, resulting in a 4% increase in gross value to $8.0 billion.


The gross value of sheep and lambs slaughterings and other disposals fell by $57 million (or 3%) to $2.1 billion in 2006-07. Whilst the total number of sheep and lamb disposals increased by 8%, average prices decreased by 10%.


In 2006-07, the gross value of pigs slaughterings and other disposals rose by 6% to $944 million, with the number of total disposals falling marginally (by 1%) and average prices increasing by 7%.


The gross value of poultry disposals rose by 6% to $1.3 billion as production increased by 3% and average prices rose by 2% in 2006-07.



Livestock products

The preliminary estimate of the gross value of livestock products in 2006-07 was $5.9 billion, an increase of 1% over the previous year.


The gross value of wool production rose by 9% to $2.3 billion, as production fell by 6% and average prices increased by 16%. Production of shorn wool fell by 7%, but production of skin wool increased by 9% as more sheep and lambs were slaughtered in 2006-07.


In 2006-07, the gross value of wholemilk decreased by $165 million (or 5%) to $3.2 billion as production decreased (by 5%) due to residual drought conditions, and average prices remained unchanged.


The gross value of Australian egg production in 2006-07 was $398 million. Production of eggs increased by 1% and average prices rose by 12% resulting in an increase of $45 million (or 13%).


Bookmark and Share. Opens in a new window

Commonwealth of Australia 2014

Unless otherwise noted, content on this website is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 Australia Licence together with any terms, conditions and exclusions as set out in the website Copyright notice. For permission to do anything beyond the scope of this licence and copyright terms contact us.