Australian Bureau of Statistics
7501.0 - Value of Principal Agricultural Commodities Produced, Australia, Preliminary, 2004-05
Previous ISSUE Released at 11:30 AM (CANBERRA TIME) 03/02/2006
|Page tools: Print Page Print All RSS Search this Product|
ABOUT THIS PUBLICATION
In 2004-05, the preliminary estimate of the gross value of crops decreased by 13% to $17.8 billion. Decreases in gross values were recorded for all major cereal crops except grain sorghum: wheat for grain fell by 23% to $4.3 billion; barley for grain fell by 29% to $1.2 billion; oats for grain fell by 40% to $167 million; and rice for grain fell by 47% to $96 million. These decreases were due to lower average prices coupled with unfavourable conditions leading to falls in production compared with the previous year. The gross value of grain sorghum rose by 3% to $328 million, with a decrease in price being more than offset by increased production.
Decreases were reported in the gross value of canola (down 29% to $490 million) and lupins for grain (down 31% to $191 million), with decreased production and lower average prices for both. However, increases were reported in the gross value of sugar cane cut for crushing (up 17% to $998 million), due mainly to a 12% increase in average price; and in the gross value of cotton (up 16% to $873 million), with a 57% rise in production partly offset by a fall in average price.
The gross value of pastures and grasses decreased by 19% in 2004–05 to $954 million. The gross value of crops cut for hay also decreased, down by 33% to $384 million.
The gross value of grapes fell by 11% to $1.5 billion, with a similar production level to the previous year offset by an 11% fall in average price. However, the gross value of apples rose by 48% to $543 million, with a 30% increase in production and a 14% increase in average price.
Livestock slaughterings and other disposals
In 2004-05, the preliminary estimate of the gross value of livestock slaughterings and other disposals rose by 10% to $12.0 billion.
The gross value of cattle and calf slaughterings and other disposals rose by 18% to $7.8 billion as a result of higher average prices.
The gross value of sheep and lamb slaughterings and other disposals fell by 4% to $1.9 billion. The value of domestic slaughterings fell by 2% to $1.7 billion, with an 8% decrease in average prices partly offset by a 7% rise in the number slaughtered. The value of exports of live sheep and lambs fell by 22% to $212 million, as the number exported fell 16% and average prices dropped 7%.
The gross value of pig slaughterings and other disposals rose by 3% to $906 million, with the number of total disposals falling by 5% and average prices increasing by 8%.
The gross value of total poultry disposals rose by 2% to $1.3 billion, with a 3% increase in the number of disposals partly offset by a 2% fall in average price.
In 2004-05, the preliminary estimate of the gross value of livestock products increased by 3% to $5.7 billion.
The gross value of wholemilk rose by 14% to $3.2 billion, with a slight rise in production and a 13% increase in average price.
The gross value of wool fell by 8% to $2.2 billion, as a result of a drop in production (down 2%) and a fall in average price (down 10%) due to weaker demand from processors and reduced competition from customers.
The gross value of egg production was unchanged at $335 million, with production increasing by 8% and average price falling by 8%.
These documents will be presented in a new window.
This page last updated 22 June 2007