ABOUT THIS PUBLICATION
This publication presents information about the labour force characteristics of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians. Information on labour force characteristics is presented by state or territory, remoteness, males and females, and age.
The estimates in this publication were compiled from the monthly Labour Force Survey, conducted throughout Australia by the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS). Results from each monthly collection have been combined to produce annual estimates.
Previously published estimates released in earlier editions of Labour Force Characteristics of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians (cat. no. 6287.0), are not strictly comparable with the estimates in this release due to:
- revisions to Indigenous population estimates, which are currently based on the September 2009 release of Experimental Estimates and Projections, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians, 1991 to 2021 (cat. no. 3238.0);
- revisions to non-Indigenous population estimates, which are currently based on the Jun 2010 release of Australian Demographic Statistics, Jun 2010 (cat. no. 3101.0);
- revisions to geographical remoteness, which is currently based on the latest Australian Standard Geographical Classification (ASGC), July 2010 (cat. no. 1216.0); and
- changes in methodology for estimates published for 1994-2000.
The Labour Force Survey has methodological and definitional differences when compared with other sources of Indigenous Labour Force data, such as
- National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Social Survey (NATSISS), 2008 (cat. no. 4714.0)
- National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Survey (NATSIHS), 2004-05 (cat. no. 4715.0)
The differences in the methodologies used affect the comparability of the estimates. These are discussed in Other Sources of Information
As estimates have been rounded, discrepancies may occur between sums of the component items and totals.
For further information about these and related statistics, contact the National Information and Referral Service on 1300 135 070, email email@example.com
or Aaron Greenup on Canberra (02) 6252 6525, email firstname.lastname@example.org
This page last updated 25 July 2012