National Ageing Statistics Unit
The National Ageing Statistics Unit (NASU) came into effect on 1 July 2002 to provide statistical focus on the social and economic implications of the ageing population, and statistical support for ageing-related policy issues.
The role of the NASU is to:
The NASU is governed by an Advisory Board comprising senior representatives from the ABS and other federal government agencies. The NASU, which is located in the ABS Queensland Office, is part of the ABS Health and Community Statistics Branch.
- analyse data on ageing issues
- maintain a dialogue with key stakeholders regarding emerging issues, data gaps and needs
- provide statistical leadership in the field of ageing statistics, including the development of an Information Development Plan as part of the National Statistical Service
- advance ageing issues and coordinate ageing activity within the ABS
- facilitate access to ageing-relevant data