SPORT AND RECREATION: A STATISTICAL OVERVIEW
Sport and Recreation: A Statistical Overview was released on 14 November. It contains information sourced from a variety of ABS collections covering a wide range of aspects of sport.
In addition to the sports attendance and participation features described above, highlights of the Overview include:
- Organisations mainly involved in providing sports and physical recreation services generated $4.8 billion worth of income.
- Government funding of sports and physical recreation was worth $2.1 billion, while business contributed $628 million in support and sponsorship.
- Australian households spent an average of $11.03 per week on sports and physical recreation equipment and activities.
- Retail sales of sports and physical recreation products totalled $3.8 billion.
- Imports of sporting goods were valued at $1.2 billion and exports reached $463 million.
- There were 83,008 people whose main job was in a sport- or physical recreation-related occupation and more than a million volunteers (1,140,700) acting in supporting roles.