CHARACTERISTICS OF RECENT MIGRANTS
The Characteristics of Recent Migrants (CoRM) survey was conducted in November 2010 and the publication Characteristics of Recent Migrants, Australia (cat. no. 6250.0) is due for release on 24 May 2011. The survey is conducted every three years as a supplementary survey topic to the monthly Labour Force Survey. The CoRM survey is used to monitor the labour market experience of 'recent migrants' to Australia. The information collected enables an assessment of the labour market experience and other characteristics of persons who have migrated to Australia in the last ten years.
Recent migrants are defined as people who were born overseas, arrived in Australia in the last ten years, were aged 15 years and over on arrival, were not an Australian or New Zealand citizen on arrival, were not born in New Zealand and have permanent Australian resident status. Information is also provided for people who were temporary residents who planned to stay in Australia for 12 months or more.
The name of the survey has changed since the survey was last conducted in November 2007, from 'Labour Force Status and Other Characteristics of Recent Migrants' to 'Characteristics of Recent Migrants'.
A range of variables are collected under the broader categories of demographic details, labour force experience, migrants, visa category, education, qualifications, employment and income. A full list of survey data items is available in Characteristics of Recent Migrants, Australia (cat. no. 6250.0). Some of the items collected are as follows;
- Country of birth
- Year of arrival in Australia
- Period since arrival
- Age group on arrival
- Main language spoken on arrival (English, other language)
- Proficiency in spoken English on arrival
- Main language currently spoken at home (English, other language)
- Current proficiency in spoken English
- Whether an Australian citizen
- Type of visa on arrival (Initial visa)
- Type of visa as at time of survey (Current visa)
- Current residency status
- Initial residency status
- Whether temporary resident before becoming a permanent resident
- Whether main applicant for initial visa
- Whether main applicant for current visa
For further details on scope, geographic coverage, methodology, classifications, concepts, data availability and publications visit the Characteristics of Migrants
entry in the Directory of Statistical Sources