|Page tools: Print Page Print All RSS Search this Product|
There were 143,473 deaths registered in Australia in 2010. This was 2,713 (1.9%) more than the number registered in 2009 (140,760). The standardised death rate (SDR) in 2010 was 5.7 deaths per 1,000 standard population. This continues a steady decline in the standardised death rate over the past decade from 6.8 deaths per 1,000 in 2000, and is slightly lower than the 2009 rate (5.8 deaths per 1,000). See Explanatory Note 42 for further information on standardised death rates.
Males accounted for 73,484 (51.2%) deaths registered in 2010, and females accounted for the remaining 69,989 deaths (48.8%). The sex ratio (male deaths per 100 female deaths) has been gradually declining over the past decade, down from 108.7 in 2000 to 105.0 in 2010.
Further details on numbers of deaths registered can be found in Deaths, Australia, 2010 (cat.no. 3302.0).
DOCTOR CERTIFIED DEATHS
Of all deaths registered in 2010, 126,094 (87.9%) were certified by a doctor. The remainder were reportable deaths, certified by a coroner (12.1%).
Males accounted for 61,832 (49.0%) of all doctor certified deaths registered in 2010, with females accounting for the remaining 64,262 (51.0%). In contrast, males accounted for a higher proportion of coroner certified deaths (11,652 or 67.0%) compared to females (5,727 or 33%). The median age at death for doctor certified deaths registered in 2010 was 82.5 years, whereas the median age at death for coroner certified deaths registered in 2010 was substantially lower at 59.1 years (see Table 4).
State and Territory Doctor Certified Deaths
The proportion of deaths certified by a doctor varies between jurisdictions. In 2010, Northern Territory had the lowest proportion of deaths certified by a doctor at 69.7%. The Australian Capital Territory had the next lowest proportion of deaths certified by a doctor at 83.2%. New South Wales had the highest proportion of deaths certified by a doctor with 90.1%. The proportions for all jurisdictions in 2010 were comparable with the proportions in 2009..
1 Deaths, by Certifier type, State and territory of usual residence - 2010
These documents will be presented in a new window.