Australian Bureau of Statistics
3101.0 - Australian Demographic Statistics, Mar 2013 Quality Declaration
Previous ISSUE Released at 11:30 AM (CANBERRA TIME) 26/09/2013
|Page tools: Print Page Print All RSS Search this Product|
Overseas Migration Fuels WA Population Growth
Net Overseas Migration continues to fuel Western Australia's population growth, accounting for almost two thirds (63 per cent) of the state's total growth in the year to 31 March 2013, according to figures released today by the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS).
"WA's population nudged 2.5 million people at the end of March 2013 and grew at an annual rate of 3.4 per cent (or 82, 600 people)", said Bjorn Jarvis from the ABS.
In contrast, the lowest growth rate was in Tasmania, where the population increased by just 0.1 per cent (or 600 people) to reach 512,900 people.
"Net overseas migration added 238,300 people to Australia's population in the year to March 2013, this is around the five yearly average.
"We're now seeing migration climbing steadily to rates last seen in 2009, though it's still well below the record high of 316,000 in 2008," he said.
Australia's population reached 23 million at the end of March 2013, and grew by an annual rate of 1.8 per cent (or 397,400 people). Net overseas migration accounted for 60 per cent of Australia's growth, with the remaining 40 per cent due to natural increase.
Victoria had the highest increase in natural increase for the year ending 31 March 2013, increasing by 7.8 per cent (or 3,000 people), compared to the previous year.
Nationally, the number of births increased by 1.2 per cent over the past year whilst the number of deaths increased by 1.7 per cent.
VIDEO: The ABS is trialling a new short and simple video presentation about the latest demography stats. The video gives an overview of how the population has changed in Australia and within the states and territories. You can view the video from 12:30pm today – Click to watch. Please have a look and tell us what you think: email@example.com.
Further information is available in Australian Demographic Statistics, March Quarter 2013 (cat. no. 3101.0).
For population estimates at the regional level, please see Regional Population Growth, Australia, 2012 (cat. no. 3218.0) and Population by Age and Sex, Regions of Australia, 2012 (cat. no. 3235.0). Available for free download from www.abs.gov.au
Media Note: When reporting ABS data you must attribute the Australian Bureau of Statistics (or the ABS) as the source.
These documents will be presented in a new window.
This page last updated 16 December 2013