THE VALUE OF OUTPOSTINGS
THE VALUE OF ABS OUTPOSTINGS
Since mid March the ACT Office of the ABS has placed Fiona Tearne in the Chief Minister's Department as an outposted Demographic Officer. Fiona is working closely with the ACT Demographer Gemma Wood on a number of demographic projects for the ACT Government as well as providing advice on the use of fit for purpose data in line with the Information Development Plan across all ACT Government agencies. The projects being covered include:
- Population Ageing in the ACT: Issues and Analysis, which provides information and analysis on issues such as Health, Transport and Housing;
- ACT Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Population, covering the ACT and surrounding region providing information and analysis in areas such as Learning and Skills, Housing, and Health;
- Statistical and quantitative analysis on a wide range of issues that inform whole of government policy development in a range of areas including children and youth, data collection, storage and sharing standards;
- Assistance in progressing ACT statistical and information development through the Information Development Steering Committee and Information Development Working Group.
Gemma Wood has indicated that this outposting has been invaluable in providing assistance in data analysis and the preparation of the demographic reports soon to be published on the Chief Minister’s Department website.
An outposted officer is one of the best ways the ABS has to provide statistical support to State and Territory Government agencies. Outposting arrangements can be designed around the nature of the project and do not necessarily have to be full-time. Equally the length of time can be decided on the specific project.
An outposting is tailored to suit the needs of the agency into which an ABS officer is placed. Some examples to which an outposting may be applied are:
- Assisting agencies in reviewing their administrative data holdings and turning this information into useful statistical outputs for themselves and other users.
- Encouraging agencies to make greater use of statistical information and tools in their work.
- Assisting agencies in the development of specific surveys and questionnaire design.
If you are interested in having an outposted officer in your department, then please contact Stephen Collett on 6252 8921.
Fiona Tearne outposted officer to the Chief Minister's Department