10 ways to use ABS stats during Library and Information Week
Library and Information Week (LIW) provides the sector with the opportunity to promote the tremendous contribution libraries and information services make to educate, inform and entertain all Australians, says the Australian Library and Information Association. We at the LEP agree completely and have come up with some ideas that may appeal to your library to promote LIW, including ABS information. Here are our Top 10 ideas and we hope they inspire you to showcase your library's information services and the expertise and skills of the profession.
ACT LEP Coordinator Kate Mason (left) and LEP Promotions Officer Kay Barney display LEP promotional materials available for Library and Information Week
- Feature an "All about our community" display, incorporating information about your local area from the census - use CLIB 2001 and the new free National Regional Profile to find interesting information about your local area.
- Run a "Statistic of the day" event. What's topical in your community? Volunteering? Education? Agriculture? You will find that the ABS releases statistics on just about any topic. Use the ABS web site Theme pages, ABS web Search, or Year Book Australia (ABS cat. no 1301.0)to help you find interesting statistics to add to a quirky and interesting display. It needn't be a big display but with the right information it can be a real talking point in your library
- What about featuring a "Web site of the day" during Library and Information Week? Use the ABS web site as one of your featured web sites. Give guided tours of the site to your clients or feature a web site each day on your own library's web site. Develop your own guide to the web site or, to save time, use an ABS web guide prepared by the LEP. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for a a hotlink to a guide to suit your library
- Mount a Display - the LEP can lend you a display stand (numbers of these are limited so book one now). Use posters, stickers, mousemats and copies of your ABS publications to give your library's clients a taste of what ABS information they can expect to find in your library.
- Go for a big event - like an eLEP Launch! If you are a new eLEP subscriber launch your new service with a public event. The LEP can provide a display stand, posters, stickers and mouse mat give-aways. Use the LEP's Media Launch Kit to give you a head start with planning - it contains sample speeches, media release and ideas for the guest list.
- What about a quiz? The Education pages on the ABS web site have a range of activities for young people, including a "Don't be a drip - save a drop" water quiz. The STATSERCISE pages will give you some great ideas for activities for LIW.
- Include the eLEP or AusStats services into your sessions for clients about online services offered in your library. As with other ideas, mouse mat give-aways, stickers and posters are available from your LEP Coordinator or by emailing email@example.com
- Add a link to the eLEP service entry page to your library's web site. Or a link to the AusStats home page in university libraries. Core List libraries will find a link to the ABS home page to be useful.
- Promote the importance of your library using the facts and figures in the newly updated Beattie's Best Counting on Libraries.
- Finally, take time out with a cup of coffee to discover the new look LEP pages of the ABS web site. Closer to Library and Information Week all LEP contacts will receive a coffee bag in the post with the compliments of the ABS.