Australian Bureau of Statistics

Rate this page
ABS Home > Statistics > By Release Date
ABS @ Facebook ABS @ Twitter ABS RSS ABS Email notification service
8501.0 - Retail Trade, Australia, Jul 2013  
Previous ISSUE Released at 11:30 AM (CANBERRA TIME) 03/09/2013   
   Page tools: Print Print Page Print all pages in this productPrint All RSS Feed RSS Bookmark and Share Search this Product


July 2013
June 2013 to July 2013
% change

Turnover at current prices
21 818.5
Seasonally Adjusted
21 824.6

Monthly Turnover, Current Prices - Trend Estimate
Graph: Monthly Turnover, Current Prices, Trend Estimate


  • The trend estimate fell 0.1% in July 2013. This follows a relatively unchanged June 2013 (0.0%) and a rise of 0.1% in May 2013.
  • The seasonally adjusted estimate rose 0.1% in July 2013. This follows a relatively unchanged June 2013 (0.0%) and a rise of 0.2% in May 2013.
  • In trend terms, Australian turnover rose 1.6% in July 2013 compared with July 2012.
  • The following industries fell in trend terms in July 2013: Department stores (-1.3%) and Other retailing (-0.3%). Food retailing (0.1%), Cafes, restaurants and takeaway food services (0.2%), Clothing, footwear and personal accessory retailing (0.3%) and Household goods retailing (0.1%) rose in trend terms in July 2013.
  • The following states and territories fell in trend terms in July 2013: New South Wales (-0.2%), Victoria (-0.1%), Western Australia (-0.1%) and the Australian Capital Territory (-0.1%). Queensland (0.0%) was relatively unchanged. South Australia (0.6%), the Northern Territory (0.4%) and Tasmania (0.1%) rose in trend terms in July 2013.



ISSUE Release Date
August 2013 1 October 2013
September 2013 4 November 2013
October 2013 3 December 2013
November 2013 9 January 2014
December 2013 6 February 2014
January 2014 6 March 2014


The ABS has recently released an information paper regarding the measurement of online retail trade. The paper explains that online retail sales by Australian resident businesses are included in the estimates of turnover presented in this publication. However, sales by non-resident retailers overseas who sell directly to the Australian general public via an online store are not included, nor are they within the primary purpose or scope of the Retail Business Survey.

The Retail Business Survey has been enhanced to produce estimates of domestic online retail sales. Preliminary results from the enhanced survey shows that 1.8% of the May 2013 estimate of Australian retail turnover was derived from online retail sales. Pure-play online retailers contributed approximately 40% of this estimate. Multi-channel retailers contributed the remaining 60%, of which half was food-related (i.e. derived from the food retailing and food services industries).

Ongoing results from the enhanced Retail Business Survey are expected to be included with this publication from November 2013. Further details on the scope of the Retail Business Survey and the enhanced measurement of online retail trade activity can be found in the information paper: Measurement of Online Retail Trade in Macroeconomic Statistics (cat. no. 8501.0.55.007).


Revisions to seasonally adjusted estimates are due to the concurrent methodology for deriving seasonal factors.

  • Data available from the Downloads tab of this issue on the ABS website include longer time series of tables in this publication, the quarterly chain volume measures and the following additional current price monthly series:
  • Retail turnover by state and 15 industry subgroups in trend, seasonally adjusted and original terms
  • Retail turnover completely enumerated and sample sector, by six industry groups in original terms
  • Retail turnover completely enumerated and sample sector, by state in original terms
  • Retail turnover completely enumerated sector, total level in trend, seasonally adjusted and original terms.


For further information about these and related statistics, contact the National Information and Referral Service on 1300 135 070 or Angus Bristow on Sydney (02) 9268 4308.

Bookmark and Share. Opens in a new window

Commonwealth of Australia 2016

Unless otherwise noted, content on this website is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 Australia Licence together with any terms, conditions and exclusions as set out in the website Copyright notice. For permission to do anything beyond the scope of this licence and copyright terms contact us.