Australian Bureau of Statistics
4610.0.55.003 - Water Access Entitlements, Allocations and Trading, 2004-05
Latest ISSUE Released at 11:30 AM (CANBERRA TIME) 13/10/2006 First Issue
|Page tools: Print Page Print All RSS Search this Product|
7. The data collated by the ABS on water access entitlements, allocations and trading from State and Territory agencies and other publicly available sources were aggregated and presented in a consistent tabular format. The tabulated data and explanatory text were then returned to their respective agencies for checking. Where necessary, the ABS sought clarification from data providers on aspects of the data provided.
Data quality and reliability
8. The data contained in this publication originate from a range of sources, as detailed above, and have a variable degree of consistency and reliability.
9. This is the first time that national data on water access entitlements, allocations and trading have been collated. The systems for collating, storing and accessing data for national reporting, and in particular to meet the requirements of the NWI, are at various stages of development in the States and Territories, while the standards needed to support regular national reporting are yet to be fully developed and implemented. As such, comparisons between the States and Territories should be made with caution. The continuing development of the systems and standards needed to support national reporting should see the situation improve. If data quality and availability are improved, the ABS may be able to revise the 2004-05 data to make them more comparable between the States and Territories and over time.
10. Some State and Territory agencies provided commentary or qualifications to the data and reports supplied:
11. The Victorian State Water Report 2004-05 states:
“This publication may be of assistance to you but the State of Victoria and its employees do not guarantee that the publication is without flaw of any kind or is wholly appropriate for your particular purposes and therefore disclaims all liability for any error, loss or other consequence which may arise from you relying on any information in this publication.”
12. Disclaimer received from Western Australia states:
“No compensation is payable in respect of anything done or omitted to be done in good faith by the Commission in the performance or purported performance of any duty, or the exercise or purported exercise of any power, in relation to this register, including its accuracy and the notification of people with a registered interest.”
13. For interstate and inter-regional water trades, where data differed between the origin (seller) and destination (buyer), the data provided by the destination (buyer) have been presented.
14. The ABS has produced a range of water related publications.
15. ABS publications draw extensively on information provided freely by individuals, businesses, governments and other organisations. Their continued cooperation is very much appreciated; without it, the wide range of statistics published by the ABS would not be available.
These documents will be presented in a new window.
This page last updated 13 October 2006