Homes owned with a mortgage
- In 2011, the proportion of homes owned with a mortgage in Tasmania was 34.2%, compared with 34.9% for Australia.
- The Local Government Area (LGA) with the highest proportion of homes owned with a mortgage in Tasmania was Sorell with 45.3%. Other LGAs with proportions of 40% or more were Brighton (42.9%) and Southern Midlands (41.5%). These three LGAs are all located north-east of Hobart.
- In more than half of Tasmanian LGAs (18 out of 29) the proportion of homes owned with a mortgage was between 30 and 40%.
- The LGA in Tasmania with the lowest proportion of homes owned with a mortgage was Flinders (21.1%). This LGA incorporates the islands north-east of Tasmania.
HOMES OWNED WITH A MORTGAGE(a), by Local Government Area, Tasmania, 2011
(a) The number of occupied private dwellings which were owned with a mortgage or being purchased under a rent/buy scheme
by a member of the household, expressed as a proportion of total occupied private dwellings.
Excludes 'Visitor only' and 'Other non-classifiable' households.
Median monthly mortgage repayments over time
- In Tasmania, the LGA with the fastest growth in median monthly mortgage repayments between 2006 and 2011 was George Town (71.4%), located in the north-east of the state.
- The LGAs with the fastest growth in mortgage costs in Greater Hobart were Derwent Valley, in the south, and Clarence, in the east, both with 53.8%.
- The LGAs with the fastest growth in mortgage costs in the rest of Tasmania were mainly located in the north and north west of the state, particularly around Devonport and Launceston.
FASTEST GROWTH IN MEDIAN MONTHLY MORTGAGE REPAYMENTS(a), by Local Government Area(b), Tasmania, 2006 and 2011
|Local Government Area|
Median Mortgage Repayment
|Rest of Tasmania|
|(a) Applicable to occupied private dwellings which were owned with a mortgage or being purchased under a rent/buy scheme by a member of the household. Excludes 'Visitor only' and 'Other non-classifiable' households.|
|(b) LGAs with a total occupied private dwelling count under 500 dwellings in 2011 are excluded from this table.|
|Cells in this table have been randomly adjusted to avoid the release of confidential data.|
|Source: ABS Census of Population and Housing, 2006 and 2011.|