Australian Bureau of Statistics

Rate this page
ABS Home > Statistics > By Catalogue Number
ABS @ Facebook ABS @ Twitter ABS RSS ABS Email notification service
8570.0 - Health Care Services, 2009-10 Quality Declaration 
Latest ISSUE Released at 11:30 AM (CANBERRA TIME) 05/07/2011  First Issue
   Page tools: Print Print Page Print all pages in this productPrint All RSS Feed RSS Bookmark and Share Search this Product  


There were 107,213 persons engaged in the general practice medical industry at the end of June 2010. Of this number 61,651 or 57.5% were registered medical/health practitioners and other staff providing health care. The remainder were administrative and support staff.

Of those providing direct health care services 51,414 persons were employed by businesses and 10,238 persons (16.6%) were working on contract. Working proprietors and partners accounted for 15,085 or 29.3% of persons employed by businesses while the remaining 36,329 or 70.7% were employees. Of all employees, 55.4% were permanent full-time, 24.4% were permanent part-time and the remaining 20.3% were casual/temporary.

Previous PageNext Page

Bookmark and Share. Opens in a new window

Commonwealth of Australia 2016

Unless otherwise noted, content on this website is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 Australia Licence together with any terms, conditions and exclusions as set out in the website Copyright notice. For permission to do anything beyond the scope of this licence and copyright terms contact us.