The names of all people are requested on the Census form for the following reasons:
See also Confidentiality, Post Enumeration Survey (PES), Retention of name-identified information.
- they assist the person(s) completing the form to report relevant information for each person on the form;
- they help the Census collector check for any omissions from the Census form if a household has to be contacted a second time;
- they are essential in processing the Post Enumeration Survey conducted after the Census;
- they assist in coding family and place of usual residence; and
- research has shown that an anonymous Census would obtain a lower response rate and less accurate data.